Thursday, March 16, 2017

HOME COMFORTS

My heart always sings when I see the first harbingers of spring—the crocus—in my garden. Here they are peeking through the layer of leaves we leave in the fall to protect the flowers through the winter.  I also noticed the leaves of my rhubarb plant are starting to redden.


Too bad it still feels like winter here in central Iowa. The colder months often find me baking something to satisfy our sweet toothes. My vintage owl cookie jar was crying out for more cookies. 


So I obliged by making a batch of ginger cookies with molasses. They are my favorite kind of cookie. Does anyone else out there like molasses cookies? I always hear about people raving about chocolate chip or peanut butter but I rarely hear people singing the praises of molasses. If you regularly read this blog, you know that my husband is prediabetic, so I have to find ways to reduce or eliminate the sugar in the treats we keep around the house. The only sugar these cookies have are the molasses and turbinado sugar I rolled them in. I also substituted half of the butter (it called for a whole stick!) with a healthier alternative and most of the flour with whole wheat flour. These cookies are NOT designed to crackle as much as regular molasses cookies. I tried three other molasses cookie recipes and we found this recipe tastes the best with no sacrifice in flavor for the healthier substitutions. 


Besides cookies, my husband has also been clamoring for homemade granola. He buys a couple brands every week at the store hoping to find something healthier but good-tasting. I don't know much about granola but he told me it's actually pretty bad for you because of the sugar and oil. So I made it my mission to find a healthier alternative for him. I found most of my ingredients at my local Trader Joes. I already had plenty of old-fashioned oats and unsalted walnuts in the pantry. All nuts we used were unsalted due to my kidney condition. 


I enjoyed baking up this sugar-free, oil-free granola. We like it as dark as possible without burning it. I'd like to eventually add dried fruit to the mix but I couldn't find any that hadn't been sweetened at the grocery stores, so I plan to dry some blueberries in my dehydrator for the next batch. Despite being oil-free, this recipe actually clumps because of the special syrup I use but I'm not one to have to have clumps in my granola. I prefer to break it all up but my husband likes small clumps.


Last but not least, I wish you all a Happy St. Paddy's Day. I just love the way my favorite kitty boutique dressed up their window for the festive occasion! How cute is that?!

10 comments:

  1. So good to see your post! Yes, aren't the first blooms of Spring so hopeful and welcoming? Cute cookie jar and good looking cookies.
    Happy St. Pat's to you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for the kind note, Gina. I can hardly wait for spring!

      Delete
  2. How about printing that molasses cookie recipe? I'm prediabetic too & always looking for ones with mostly wheat flour. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know that others enjoy molasses cookies, too! I'll send the recipe to you tomorrow. Right now it's just a bunch of scribbles adapted from another recipe. I figure if people are interested in the recipe, they will email me.

      Delete
    2. I tried emailing you the recipe but you are a no-comment reply blogger, meaning that no email address comes through with your message. So if you want the recipe, please email it to me by clicking the "Email Me" link on my blog or leave it in a comment.

      Delete
  3. I love the granola idea! I love to bake too which gets me into trouble! I want to invite you (if you are on Face Book) to the Take Peace Tasha Tudor Group! Many of the ladies make dolls, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernideen, Thanks so much for the invite. I would love to check out the group! Indeed, baking can get us into quite a bit of trouble. That's why I'm hoping I can make it a little healthier for us even if it's not perfect.

      Delete
  4. https://www.facebook.com/groups/410325845749779/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!