Tuesday, December 13, 2016

A FRIEND FOR FIGGY

Those of you who regularly read my blog may know that we've been searching for a friend for our tuxedo kitty, Figgy, who we adopted this past February. About a month ago, we found the sweetest little friend for him—a Blue Russian mix kitten who is as soft as velvet! We named him Winston Finch (Winnie for short). Here he is with big brother Figgy. He looks larger in the photo than he really is since he is in the foreground. He was four months old here and just four pounds.


The best thing is that Figgy adores Winnie and after just a couple days, they were cuddle buds. Here they they are hugging each other on the cat bed, which just happens to be next to a heating register. They love the extra heat! Who can blame them living in a drafty old Victorian house?!


Ever curious like typical cats, they both love to watch my husband and I work in the garden. I took this photo through the kitchen window so it looks a little grainy but you can still see a couple cute cat faces.


Winnie is affectionate and braver and more gregarious than Figgy. Case in point is that he went right down to the basement the first day he arrived while Figgy has yet to step foot in the basement willingly. Winnie has really done so much to bring Figgy out of his shell in the brief time he has been here. Sometimes, he's a bit too brave—like when he decided to climb our new pink Christmas tree. Look closely at the below photo and you'll see something that does not belong. It brought back memories when I was looking at our Christmas tree many years ago and saw our black kitty Poe peering right back out at me.


My husband and I finished decking the house out for Christmas over the weekend and found more ornaments for the tree. Part of the fun of trimming the tree is rediscovering the wonderful ornaments we've collected over the years and the memories that are associated with them. We found this vintage-style ornament on a trip to Minneapolis.


We just found this charming tree topper at Hobby Lobby of all places. It looks just like the old German ones and its hues were perfect for my tree.


As darkness fell, we illuminated the tree and admired our "hard" work.


You might have detected a bit of a color theme going on here at Ashton House with pink being the focal point. Even my pink Featherweight gets in on the decorating action with a small but cheerful holiday accent. Nothing perks me up like a primitive snow lady—in pink no less!


We changed out the dining table centerpiece with a holiday-themed one. In keeping with my pink theme, I bought pink pillar candles to go with the silver rings of holly leaves and berries. Because the colors are not overly Christmasey, I think I will be able to keep these out through the winter until Valentine's Day! I will share the centerpiece of the arrangement in a future post.


And just when I said there was a color theme going on, we do break it here and there. This little red shelf gets populated by bottlebrush trees and snowmen in traditional holiday colors come December. There's even a little sheep tucked in there! Can you spot him?

9 comments:

  1. Oh he is adorable, Kimber! You have the cutest cats and I remember how Teddy and Poe were so nice, too. I love reading about them on your blog. Your holiday decorating looks amazing! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I have to ask, how on earth did you get that cat to sit still long enough to paint its nails?! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Those little pink things are nail caps designed to prevent his claws from damaging things. We are giving them a try because he is quite a little clawer and unfortunately it isn't limited to his scratching pad and post!

      Delete
  3. I must confess that I enjoy your blog as much to see Figgy as anything else! So happy the Figgy has a new pal. I do believe that pets need socialization with their own species. Such a precious addition to your family! Welcome Winnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the well wishes, Tina! I am glad to hear you enjoy reading about Figgy! He will be happy to hear that!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new family member. They look so cute together. Winnie must be such a patient boy to let you put caps on his claws. Your decorations look great. Your tree topper is perfect. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winnie is beautiful! So glad you found a perfect fit to join Figgy. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That photo of Winnie in the tree is priceless! I don't know how you managed to get it. Your house looks so festive. I especially love that pink tree!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Winnie has found a buddy in Figgy. Love your pink tree. It's so pretty and so you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!