Tuesday, July 5, 2016

SUNDRIES FOR SALE

I'm embarking on a summer cleaning fest and have decided to part with some of my furniture like this vintage Cheval dresser. The mirror is pretty tarnished so I would not consider that part functional but if you're looking for a pretty decorative piece for a bedroom, it might be a great fit. I actually used the piece to display my vintage quilts by stacking them in front of half the mirror. I thought I'd see if there might be any interest on the blog before I send it over to my friend's antique shop. If you have any interest in it and can pick it up (we live just a short distance west of West Des Moines), we are selling it for $80. You are welcome to come out and take a closer look at it before deciding whether you want to buy it. For more specifics on the piece, feel free to leave a comment or email me by clicking the "Email Me" button in the top right sidebar of my blog.


Also for sale is this set of whiteware plates with fretwork (these are new) for $35. The largest platters are 12 inches across and the smaller ones are 10 inches across. Because of their delicate nature, I'm just selling them to those who might be willing to pick them up. 


I'm also selling one of my vintage White sewing machines (below) for $50. I generally use these oldies but goodies as just display pieces rather than as functional sewing machines so I haven't tested this out to see if it actually works. You would be welcome to try it out before deciding whether to buy it. As I continue my cleaning, I may be posting some other items. 


In other news, we finally have our carpet installed! Our quest to find patterned carpet for our 1898 Victorian house turned out to be quite the saga! The carpet we picked out fell through a whopping four times due to assorted issues ranging from manufacturing flaws to a careless forklift operator who slashed the carpet. Kane Carpet (a carpet manufacturer), in particular, seemed to have problems with their die-lots. They were so off that they didn't come close to matching the actual samples we saw in the showroom. They tried twice to get it right but after the second failed attempt, we decided to look elsewhere. If the hardwood floors (below) under our old carpet were in better condition, we would have just stuck with those. With the "help" of dear Figaro (pictured below), we gave the hardwood floor a thorough cleaning before the carpet was installed.


Luckily, Figgy approves of the new damask-patterned carpet! Figgy just had a checkup at our vet and we were delighted to hear he now weighs 10 pounds. Our vet had told us earlier that he would be a smaller cat boy due to his rough start in life. I think he wanted to warn us not to expect him to get as big as our previous kitties, Poe and Teddy, who were considered big boys at 17 pounds!


In celebration of the completion of this long overdue project, I've ordered a pink tufted sofa and hope it will go well in the living room. If it does, we may be selling our camelback sofa but it not, we'll keep it. I'll leave you with a scene from that room as evening fell the day our carpet was finally installed. By the way, we would also like to eventually sell the blue wing back chair (with the quilt draped over it) in this photo.


8 comments:

  1. The new carpet looks wonderful. Love the pattern. Your saga in getting the carpet replaced reminded me of the old adage: If it were easy, everyone would be doing it. :) Congrats on the completed project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy, Thanks for your encouraging words about the carpet. We're glad we prevailed. Hopefully we'll be able to enjoy the carpet for years to come.

      Delete
  2. Your new carpet looks great! I have to admit the hardwood floors look nice too. Glad your boy is doing well and getting big. 10 lbs. is still a good size, I know I have a ten pounder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina,
      Thanks for dropping by my blog the other day and leaving such a nice comment. If we hadn’t already ordered the carpet by the time we saw the hardwood floors, we would have been tempted to keep them. They did have some damage here and there that would have had to have been addressed, though. At least we know what we have to work with in case we decide to do away with the carpet in the future. Now we’re thinking that hardwood might have been better for pets. Hope your kitty is doing well!
      Kimber

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love all your vintage pretties. If only I lived closer, I would get them all. The carpet turned out great and Figgy is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Figgy says thank you. He's such a smart cat. He beams whenever you give him a compliment. I guess cats are just like people that way--when you say something nice to them, it just makes their day!

      Delete
  4. Have the plates sold yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pity I live so far away. I would have loved that dresser! Your new carpet is gorgeous, Kimber.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!