Monday, July 18, 2016

HAPPY MONDAY

Thank you to those of you who purchased some of my items featured in the previous post. It's nice to know they are going to good homes! My cat Figgy and I just spent this morning preparing the guest room for my sister who is coming to visit in early August. We changed out the quilts on the rooms's two Jenny Lind beds with cheerful 1930s beauties. Figgy particularly likes the bed with the star quilt on it! He loves to "help" whenever he can.


With the new carpet finally installed, we're moving furniture back into the parlor. I thought this would be a good time to change things up. So I decided to move our Victorian whatnot shelf to a new spot and decorate it with my vintage English candy tins and miniature Grandfather clocks. On the bottom shelf sits my husband's grandmother's hand-crank sewing machine, though you can barely see it in this photo.


I meant to write a couple weeks ago that I was elated to finally harvest the first of my zucchini from the plants and seeds we started in late April! These seem like behemoths compared to the grocery store's. They measure about 12 inches long and 2 1/2" in diameter. 


We planted six plants, which might have been overkill for two people, but we've never grown them before so thought we should plant extra in case some of the seeds made it. The zucchini in the above photo is Renee's Garden variety called 'Clarimore'. According to the seed packet, they have a unique creamy texture and a delicious nutty sweet flavor. They do take up a fair amount of space in the garden as you can see from my below photo, so we will be sure to space them farther apart next spring. If anyone in Adel wants one, I have one to spare!


Speaking of veggies, I normally don't like salads because I am not a huge veggie fan but I must tell you about a delicious veggie salad I love ordering from this lovely new bistro (Flavory Bistro) in Ankeny. The owner takes great pride in her dishes and it shows in everything she makes. I've ordered different things here (chicken gyros, smoothies, baklava) and always been delighted with them. Seems like it would be hard to be impressed by a salad but I am with this one that features romaine lettuce, cabbage, walnuts, and sautéed asparagus, peppers and yellow zucchini sautéed in lemon or lemongrass. You also get two tasty pieces of toasted pieces of bread. If you live in the area, I hope you'll try it out. Tell them that Kimber who loves the veggie salad sent you and I'm sure the owner will get a kick out of that! Have a lovely Monday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Figgy looks quite comfortable lying there on the bed. Your whatnot shelf looks wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!