Thursday, March 17, 2016

SPRING FEVER

Signs of the coming spring are popping up all around Ashton House as I see signs of life in my garden. This latest issue of Best of Country Gardens magazine, on newsstands only now, also gets me in a spring mood. A couple weeks ago, I found out my African violets made the cover. The miniature violets are staged in my collection of demitasses and tiny tea cups. Inside is an article that I wrote on these pretties. As always, I am happy to provide anyone who contacts me with a brochure on how to grow these enchanting houseplants.


This afternoon finds me preparing my program on Victorian sewing trade cards for my P.E.O group. I enjoy bringing out all these treasures from yesteryear, then choosing which ones to present in my slideshow. I prefer that format since they are a little hard to see otherwise given their size. I hope the ladies will enjoy the slideshow.


I also did a little organizing in my impromptu sewing nook in one of the parlors. I change out the vintage dresses on the antique dressforms with each season. I only purchase dresses that I can actually wear. To me, they are like works of art, so the dressforms are the perfect way to display a couple of them when they're not in use. The brown and pink one on the left is one of my favorites. Maybe it's because that is one of my favorite color combos.


Little Figgy (Figaro) thought he needed to help with the organizing!


When Figgy gets tired like after "helping" me with a task, he retreats to his little chair. This is a shot of him from last month. I can't imagine being comfy in this position but he was sound asleep.


Enjoy St. Paddy's day, my friends! 

9 comments:

  1. Happy Spring Kimber, I love your update, your African Violet's too! Spring is coming with all your beautiful flowers. Your dress display and sewing nook look so wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful cover with your African violets! Your kitty is so adorable, and that sleeping position! Oh my goodness! I'd love to see your trade card collection - looks great! Happy St. Patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, nice violets on the cover, I love how you have them displayed on cake plates. Very clever. We are having spring like weather in between the rain showers. In fact I was out cleaning up weeds in the flower beds today, since I can actually plant again this year after two years of draught.Cute sewing cards. I really like the sleeveless dress. Oh my your helper is too cute. LOL at his sleeping position. I wonder how many times he has fallen out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way your violets are displayed. I have always loved African Violets, but had so much trouble growing them. Maybe I love them too much...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to get that magazine. Hopefully my local bookstore has it. I love your vintage dresses. I meant to tell you how much I liked the one in your previous post. They have such flair. Figgy is adorable. Made me smile. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on making the cover!! and I would love to receive your info on growing African Violets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Please email your email address and I will send you the growing info. Your email came through with no return email address so I have no way to contact you.
      Kimber

      Delete
  7. Hi Kimber... sorry about that - I thought my email address would translate.

    baddabinda@yahoo.com

    Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kimber, I was so inspired by your cover on Best of Country Gardens, I wanted to make an arrangement with African Violets too! I mentioned your blog on my post today! Thank you so much for the inspiration!
    Hugs, Jody

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!