Monday, January 25, 2016

REDISCOVERING AN OLD FRIEND

Thanks to all who left such kind comments on my previous post. I responded directly to everyone unless they were a no-reply comment blogger (which means their message didn't come through with a return email address). In that case, I replied in the comment section. I can't believe the first month of 2016 is nearly over! I had a rough start to my new year after taking a hard fall and landing on my face. I ended up in the ER for an afternoon but luckily, I did not break any bones. Before my mishap, I was happy to hear from my friend MJ that one of my favorite local antique haunts—Found Things—had reopened. It has a great location at 1433 Walnut St. in downtown Des Moines.


Marsha, the owner, is back with lots of unique treasures beautifully displayed in a spacious building. I was so sad when she had to close the store in her old location in March of last year. Living in an old Victorian house with pitifully small closets, I was tempted by this beautiful wardrobe but the thought of having to transport it was a bit daunting. 


If you're in the Des Moines area, I hope you'll check out Marsha's new home. She would be thrilled to see both old friends and new. While I was in the area, I checked out the nearby Furry Friends Refuge to check on the little black kitty (Indigo) we are sponsoring. She is still available and I hope she will find a home soon. She's a real sweetie. Because she is sponsored, she can be adopted for free! She's at the Grand Ave. location in Des Moines.


It's been almost two years since our dear cat, Teddy, passed away and we are hoping when the time is right, a new kitten will find his way into our hearts. We have a soft spot for the boy kitties. They've been so good to us. Until we find him, we stop by Furry Friends often just to feel the love of so many wonderful kitties—girls and boys. I believe this kitty's name is Gracie. Luckily, she found a home. 


Thanks to those of you who answered my call for help finding a recipe for cereal clusters. I made several batches to give to friends and family over the holidays. Later I also found a 1950s recipe for the cereal clusters and tried that out but decided to skip the marshmallows. It was a special treat to make a batch for the lady who gave me the recipe for the peanut clusters more than 10 years ago (she can no longer make them and had asked my mom if I could make her a few). Hers are the best clusters I'd ever tasted because they are so creamy and soft—unlike a lot of peanut clusters that are so hard. Everyone who eats them seems surprised by how soft they are.


After the holidays, we are back to eating a little healthier with our sockeye salmon, which is my favorite of the salmons. I sprinkled it with some parmesan cheese and dried parsley. Doesn't everything taste better with a little cheese? Due to health reasons, I can't eat the orange cheeses but I can indulge in the light ones like mozzarella, swiss, and parmesan.


And here's one last photo to leave you with for the day. I've always loved old cupboards. They always spark grand ideas of what I could display in them. This one recently caught my eye but it was much too expensive for my budget. Isn't the color and dry sink dreamy? A girl can dream, can't she? 


11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to read that you fell. So scary, glad you were not injured. Beautiful wardrobe and cupboard. I always love to look at the big pieces of furniture that I can never fit in my home. LOL OH, I hope your sweet Indigo gets a new home. I'm with you, males have been the best cats for us. One female was enough for me. Congrats on getting back to your healthy regimen, we are taking a bit longer here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina,
      Thanks for your sweet note. It was a scary experience falling, thinking you are going to break your fall, then landing right on your face. It was a bit surreal actually. I'm not that great about eating healthy but I do love fish, which helps a lot. I'll be crossing my fingers that Indigo finds a home soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Black cats are my favorite. I think they are not the easiest to find homes for. Hope Indigo finds her forever home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black kitties are the sweetest, aren't they? I do hope Indigo finds a home soon. I was hoping that sponsoring her would make that happen sooner than later.

      Delete
  3. You much be more careful with your beautiful face! So glad you were not hurt worse! I love the aqua cupboard too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri,
      I definitely learned my lesson! I fell on my cheek and had several abrasions on the right side of my face, shoulder, elbow, knee and hand but it could have been much worse. Kimber

      Delete
  4. The cupboard are so beautiful..
    Black cats are my fav too :)
    Hope you are well
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a soft spot for black kitties! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. It was fun to hear you speak of Walnut and Grand Ave as I went to college in Des Moines and remember these place. I worked downton too. I enjoyed your posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the post sparked fond memories for you, Bernideen!

      Delete
  6. Kimber, I am so glad to hear Marsha has reopened shop in a new location. I can't wait to get there. I am so thankful you are healing and can't wait to see you soon. Love all of your updates and pictures too. Love all the pictures of the kitties. I hope they find a forever home soon. Hugs my friend.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!