Thursday, December 31, 2015

A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!

It hardly seems possible that 2015 will soon be a memory. Before it does, I wanted to wish all of you who visit my blog a very happy 2016! A special thank you to all who take the time to write me notes and leave comments. I started this blog as an occasional online journal of sorts to record the mundane details of my life for future reference but it's nice to know that I do get an occasional visitor!


I don't usually like to go out for New Year's Eve but this year, my husband wanted to check out Noce, the new jazz club and cabaret opening on New Year's Eve. The Des Moines Big Band as well as some other artists will be playing some classics. We plan to head over there after enjoying a dinner at one of our favorite downtown Des Moines restaurants. While we were in Minneapolis this fall, a nice lady at Nordstrom helped me pick out a pretty ensemble (below) to wear for the occasion. It's a lovely white-and-black short-sleeve dress that she suggested I pair with a black shrug for winter. She also suggested the silver/pewter heels and a blush pink purse. Now I can't decide whether to go with the pink purse or the cute cat one (pictured below). I know next to nothing about fashion, so feel free to give me your opinion if you read this before 6:00 p.m.! 


Like all years, 2015 was filled with ups and downs but I wanted to quickly share a few happy memories before I have to get ready for our New Year's celebration. After local weather forecasts repeatedly said that we would not have a white Christmas, we awoke to this on Christmas morning just before we left to celebrate the holidays at home with family. I guess there really are Christmas miracles!


I received this early Christmas gift from my husband. I love its Flower Power theme and am going to love riding it around come spring. I did manage to squeeze a few rides in before winter.


We were thankful to get to host our 13th annual Thanksgiving dinner for family. As usual, hubby did the honors of carving the turkey.


For three years, we've been blessed to have the Yang family come over and make egg rolls in early December. They make the most delicious ones and I've always wanted to learn how to make them on my own (they are a bit complicated!). This time I think I paid enough attention to actually make these on my own. Their daughter Catherine (below right) helped me (below left) mix up the ingredients.


Their daughter Isabella (below left) taught us how to roll them up! Here is a photo of me with her trying to figure it out. 


Their mom Sandy fried them up for us. We promptly devoured as many as our bellies could accommodate.


I hope this New Year's eve finds you safe, warm, and happy. I look forward to chatting with you again in the new year.

20 comments:

  1. Love the New Year's outfit, Kimber! You are going to look fabulous. I'd go with the cat purse. You look so cute making those egg rolls. Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelsey,
      Thank you for your sweet note. Nice to know there are still kind-hearted people out there! Kimber

      Delete
  2. Yes I love the new year outfit too..the cat purse is so sweet ..
    Enjoy my dear..those egg rolls looking yummy
    Happy new year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cucki,
      Happy New Year to You, too! Hope yours is off to a great start. And thank you for your kind comment. Kimber

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, Kimber! It is already 1st January here in Australia. I hope you have/had a wonderful time at the jazz club. I love your outfit. We just had a quiet night watching movies and then the fireworks at midnight. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      Always nice to see a note from you here! Happy New Year to you, too! I trust the weather there in Australia must be warmer than it is here! On New Year's Eve it was only 12 degrees! Kimber

      Delete
  4. Your outfit will be beautiful regardless of which purse you choose. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Thank you for your sweet note. You are right that both purses would go with the dress. I love both of them. Kimber

      Delete
  5. I just want to say that I enjoy your blog even though I am really bad about commenting. Sounds like a wonderful way to bring in the new year. Love your outfit. I would go with the pink purse, it give you a splash of color without being too much. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina,
      Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a note and for your encouraging comments. I hope you will visit again. Thanks for the purse suggestion. The pink bag is a lovely one. Kimber

      Delete
  6. Your outfit is just gorgeous, no matter which purse you chose. Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,
      Thanks for your sweet comment about the outfit. It just looked like the perfect one to celebrate New Year's in! Kimber

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year, Kimber! I love your ensemble and bet you looked beautiful in it. Your hair has gotten so long. Love it that way. We need to get together for lunch in the new year!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      So good to hear from you! Yes, we'll have to get together for lunch. You can give me a call or email me to set up a time. See you soon. Kimber

      Delete
  8. Kimber
    Love your outfit. It looks so feminine and sweet! Always love pictures of your home. Happy New Years.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn,
      Thanks for taking the time to write and for leaving such a kind comment. I loved the dress from the moment I saw it. Glad you have enjoyed the photos of my home. Happy New Year to you, too! Kimber

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year to both of you. So glad to call you and Tom our friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and Frank, too! It was fun going clothes shopping with you. Seems like a lot of women don't enjoy that, so it's nice to have someone to do that with. Kimber

      Delete
  10. You look gorgeous, Kimber, even when making egg rolls! Love the dress you picked out. How was Noce?
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind, Andrea. I looked pretty grubby making the egg rolls but it's nice of you to say that. Noce was a mixed bag.

      Delete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!