Wednesday, July 1, 2015

THE SUMMER CLEANING CHRONICLES

In a previous post, I mentioned that I was doing some summer cleaning in the library. There is also an added incentive to get things a little more organized because a magazine will be coming to the house to photograph some of my collections later this year. I'll be chronicling my summer cleaning progress on this blog from time to time, so if you come here only for quilt-related news, you might be disappointed. This blog has become a daily diary on a variety of topics and I expect that will continue. I'm relieved to report that we've now culled through all the bookshelves and donated several hundred books! It was a mammoth task but a long overdue one. Now we're dusting all the books and re-staging the shelves by mixing in some fun little accents here and there to break up the expanses of books. I've tried to do them according to the theme of the nearby books when possible. We have a curved section of shelving that makes a great display for some of my collection of reproduction holiday houses and colorful Penguin classic books. This way I can have a little bit of Christmas out year-round!


With so much space freed up from the donated books, I was able to carve out a nook for the small reproduction apothecary chest I purchased at Nell Hill eight years ago. It holds most of my button collection. On top of it, I displayed my vintage African violet books (mostly from the 1950s) and a precious vintage owl book given to me as a gift. My husband gave me the two owl figurines next to it.


This corner nook seemed a good place for my antique needlepoint rocking chair (purchased in Madison, Wisconsin, on my first trip to the Sewing and Quilt Expo several years ago). The only problem is the curtain behind the door no longer matches and I'll have to choose a different fabric. If you're wondering why I would put a chair in front of a door—we never use the door behind the chair since there is door to the foyer (just beyond that door) in the adjoining parlor. I believe in maximizing every inch of space, so I wasn't about to leave the corner bare! Just doesn't sound very inviting! For me, more is more when it comes to decorating. I like things comfortably cozy!


There are lots of memories in this room—including this vintage German cuckoo clock that my dad brought back from the Black Forest when he was stationed in Germany while serving in the Army. I've seen people paint these different colors and have pondered painting mine a different hue. What do you think? If you're wondering if those are real leaves in the wallpaper, they are! I'm not a big fan of the wallpaper, which we inherited when we moved in 10 years ago. We always planned to remove it and paint the room but as you can see, we haven't gotten to it just yet.


If you read my previous post, you might have seen a photo of me in my newest dress purchased for a song at a local thrift store. Shortly after that post, I received a note from Barb of the blog, Fun with Barb and Mary. It turns out she had the same dress—only in a lovely shade of green! She sent me this fun photo of her in the dress. Doesn't she look smashing in it? Love it, Barb! 


Hopefully I'll be back soon with more progress on my summer cleaning. I'm now working in my kitchen! It's one of my favorite places to be because its cheerful yellow always improves my disposition!

4 comments:

  1. Your displays are lovely, Kimber. I love the little Christmas one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I have a rocking chair like yours but not painted. It was my great-great grand parents'. Each generation has been rocked in it. I say it is a true lady's chair since it is smaller ...and...my feet can touch the floor. (okay, I'm short:)
    Also, if you feel the urge to go through more books, come on over. We don't have quite that many, but need to do the same or we soon will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little dress story.... one Easter two of my daughters arrived for luncheon....in the same dress.....not by design ..... it was very much like the dress you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me about the three little bowls on the shelf below your Christmas display? Thanks, Lorie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!