Thursday, June 11, 2015

MORE VINTAGE GOODIES

Shortly after I returned from my Quilt Market/Minneapolis trip last month, I had to head for Kansas City to the National African Violet Convention and then to Omaha for another trip. While I was in both Kansas City and Omaha, I enjoyed searching the vintage clothing shops and antiques shops. As usual, I saw lots of pretty vintage quilts. This pink and white beauty was calling my name but it did not come home with me. I seriously pondered it, though, as it would have looked great in my pink-and-green dining room.


I also spotted this darling vintage doll bed but didn't buy that either due to its high price tag. I wonder when it was made?

I was tempted by this vintage pink phone but did not get that either as the shop had no land line to test it on to make sure it actually worked. I was surprised they did not have a land line. In my line of work, I can't use cell phones because they just don't have reliable enough reception to conduct phone interviews for my magazine articles, so I'll be sticking with my land line! I think I may be the only person who doesn't have a smartphone. I just don't like to be tethered to technology.


I was pleasantly surprised by the number of vintage clothing shops in both Kansas City and Omaha. Some of the shops sold new clothing that was inspired by vintage ones like this colorful boutique. Aren't their pink hangers cute?


As soon as I got home, I ordered a box of them. I plan to replace all my plastic hangers with these pretties!


I spotted the cutest pink cat dress at the boutique with pink hangers, but unfortunately they did not have it available in my size. Luckily, I was able to find it on the internet, only in a halter style. So here's one more find to add to my collection of cat dresses (if you can call it a collection—I only have three).


One of my favorite vintage clothing boutiques is Paperdoll in Omaha. It has a great selection of dresses, tops, and other pieces of the past. If their window filled with vintage frocks isn't enough to draw you in, I don't know what will!


The inside of the shop is just as enticing with vintage treasures. I'll let the photos speak for themselves!




This dress from Paperdoll ended up going home with me. I loved the print and its colors. They just don't make them like they used to!


I also enjoyed my visit to Wallflower, a fun vintage artisan collective featuring both vintage clothing and home goods as well as wares from local artisans. They group their vintage clothes by style. The Shari & Sally collection pictured here features boho and free-spirited pieces. 


Everything was organized so beautifully, including this dreamy vignette that greets you when you enter.


The architecture of the building is truly amazing. I love how they accented the windows with this green paint color. And what a cool ceiling!


I found a vintage yellow dress, something I've been wanting for a long time, at this shop but ran out of time to photograph it for this post. My other stop was Atomic Bombshells, a shop that sells both vintage and vintage-inspired clothes. Among my finds from there is this sweet 1960s pink gingham dress and 1960s yellow and green dress. I especially loved the built-in green belt in the latter dress. 



While not vintage, this pair of colorful vintage-style boots caught my eye at one of the vintage stores in Kansas City but I didn't think I would use them enough to justify the price.


I did, however, come home with these vintage-style wedges. They have the cutest flocked berries on top of transparent bows, but the best part is that they are so comfortable that I can literally wear them all day. After badly spraining my ankle 10 years ago, I'm not able to wear heels any taller than a couple inches because they are too difficult for me to walk in, so wedges are a nice and more stable alternative for me.


While not vintage either, Lilly Pulitzer dresses are definitely vintage in spirit. I can remember my aunts wearing these colorful dresses when I was a kid, so they bring back pleasant memories. While I was in Minneapolis and Kansas City, I stopped by the area Lilly Pulitzer signature stores. Kansas City's is called Under the Palm Tree.


Lilly Pulitzer is known for a bright, cheerful palette of prints. I am especially fond of the shift dresses. When you're in them, you can't but feel happy. 




I found these fun Lilly Pulitzer dresses to add to my wardrobe (the leftmost one is not a LP dress but from another company sold in the store). They are all shift dresses, which are nice and comfy since they are designed to fit loosely. 


I'll be back early next week to share the last installment of my May trips—a post on some of the breathtaking violets I saw at the National African Violet Convention. Until then, I'll leave you with this fun pic of some darling pig garden accents that I spotted at the Iowa Welcome Center as we returned to Iowa from Kansas City.

11 comments:

  1. You visited some lovely shops, Kimber. It's a pity I live so far away. I'd love to check out all those places. The dresses you bought are gorgeous. Isn't more than one of something a collection? Your not the only one without a smartphone! Although my son is updating his and I'm getting his old one soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      I wish you could see the shops in person. You would love them. I know enjoy dresses, too. Hopefully you have some fun vintage shops near you! kimber

      Delete
  2. Hi Kimber,
    Just catching up on your blog. You are a very busy lady!
    Love all the vintage dresses. Very cute. Thanks for all the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila,
      Good to hear from you. My May was very busy but June should be much calmer. I have missed your posts. Kimber

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness I would have bought that pink quilt and the pink phone!!!! I loved the wedges you got, so darling! Sounds like a fantastic souping spree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri,
      I am kind of regretting not getting the quilt but I did not want to risk the phone not working. Those vintage ones aren't cheap but they sure are cute! Kimber

      Delete
  4. So you should model the dresses for us:) What fun. Also, I still have a little ol' flip phone. We don't get svc. at home so I just can't justify an upgrade. I have an old dark red land-line phone for when the power goes out. You can hear it a long ways away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust,
      I doubt anyone would be interested in seeing me in the dresses but that's sweet of you to say. I have a cheap flip-open trac-fone for emergency purposes and that seems to serve me pretty well. I keep thinking that I will eventually be tempted by a smartphone but so far, I haven't been.

      Delete
  5. Not sure if a rotary phone still works, but a vintage touch tone phone still works on a landline. We have a cherry red one at work, loving referred to as the bat phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know, Kathy! Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep searching for a pink vintage phone. It would be fun to have a red one, too!

      Delete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!