Thursday, February 5, 2015

FINALLY FEBRUARY!

Looking out my window at our slumbering arbor garden, it is hard to believe that spring is next month! January is always the hardest month for me. By February, I can at least see the light of spring at the end of the tunnel!


Even though winter still has us in its icy grip, it's not too early to think spring! Our latest issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine will help you cultivate the seeds of creativity with a fresh crop of projects ranging from quilts and hooked rugs to wool appliqué and punch needle. It's on newsstand now! I'm currently editing projects for the summer edition. 


Now that it's February, I'm in a Valentine's Day mood. My fabric stash is lacking in Valentine motifs but I recently found this cute fox fabric. Have you noticed that foxes are becoming as popular as owls? Seems like I see more and more of them. 


Speaking of Valentine's Day, my hubby made dinner reservations at one of my favorite downtown Des Moines restaurants and I ordered a special dress and purse for the special occasion. As usual, the online boutique I ordered the dress from was very helpful in giving me measurements to make it more likely the dress would fit and luckily, it did! Yippee! Since it is always so cold here during this time of year, I will wear my black shrug over the dress to stay warm. The purse is in transit, so I hope it arrives in time.  



I will eventually post more details about the dress on my Pinterest as well as my pink blog, Tickled Pink, that I started last summer (There's also a clickable button on my right sidebar that will take you there). It's just my fun corner of cyberspace devoted to my love of all things pink. I had so many things in that hue that I decided it would be fun to have a place to record many of them.

In other news, February finds us continuing our goal to eat fish 2–3 times a week. I've always said that if fish weren't so expensive, I could live on it. Ever since I was a kid, I've loved all sorts of fish except for tilapia (Not a fan of that). Best yet, fish is easy to prepare even on nights when I don't feel like cooking. My father-in-law is taking a little break from ice fishing, which has prompted us to try some new fish. I saw some wild-caught hake fillets in the grocery store last weekend and decided to try them. Hake is less expensive than one of my favorite fish—wild-caught Pacific cod—so I thought why not give it a try? I first tried baking them and they were okay. The next night, I grilled them, which produced a much nicer flavor. If I were to have them again, I would definitely grill them! It seems like fish like this and halibut are best grilled, and it's so easy to do that on my stovetop grill pan (No need to brave the cold with an outdoor grill!). All Clad makes a nice stovetop grill pan that makes those grill marks on the fish like you see in my photo below. Broccoli is about the only veggie that my hubby and I will eat, so we steamed some to go with our meal. The verdict? I still prefer cod to hake but I wouldn't rule out buying it again. 


3 comments:

  1. That fox fabric is very cute, Kimber. Your new dress is lovely. We don't celebrate Valentine's Day here. I hope you have a lovely time at the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love your dress. SO darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely dress, Kimber! You'll look great in it. Will look forward to hearing more about it on your blog. love that purse too.
    kendra

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!