Friday, January 9, 2015

QUILTS, COOKIES, AND KOALAS

What do all these things have in common? This blog post! Read on to find out what I have to say about them. First of all, I hope everyone who emailed me requesting the recipes for the pumpkin cookies and chicken salad featured in my previous post received my replies with the recipes. If not, please email me again as according to my notes, I've responded to everyone. Also, I wanted to thank all of you who emailed me about the oddity with my hands that I mentioned in the previous post. It was very kind of you to think of me! Now back to today's happenings. I had my eye dilated at my annual ophthalmologist appointment this morning. So what does one do until the eyes return to normal? I can't really do my editing work at the moment, so I thought I'd write a blog post! It could be a very interesting one, though, since typing is more challenging when the eyes are dilated. Last Sunday afternoon, bad winter weather almost prevented me from getting to my monthly Simple Whatnots quilt club meeting but I'm so glad I ventured out as I had such a fun time. Whenever I get lazy and feel like staying home, I try to shake off the temptation as you never know what you might be missing—it could be a terrific day! My hubby was kind enough to drive me to the meeting so I wouldn't have to worry about the road conditions, which turned out to be perfectly fine (As usual, the weather forecasters made a mountain out of a molehill). At this month's meeting, our group facilitator, Marge, shared her awesome collection of antique and vintage doll beds. Aren't they dear?


I was especially smitten with this sweet doll cradle, which Marge said she found on a trip to England. 


At each meeting, Marge gives us a fabric history lesson and shares some swatches of her reproduction fabrics that reflect each of the types of fabric she highlights in the lessons. This time, she talked about conversation prints and our swatch featured the sweetest little kitty sipping tea from a cup (see photo below). Being a cat lover, I asked her if she could tell me the fabric line so I could purchase some yardage. Marge was so generous to give me her piece of the fabric! If you're reading this, Marge, thank you so much! You really made my day. 


We also got our first glimpse of this month's charming project, which can be made with or without the appliquéd center medallion.


Mary, the owner of the shop (The Quilt Block) where our club meets, has assembled a nice display of Kim's projects, books, and fabric.


One of the fun things about the club is that we always get a fun bonus project. This month's project was this scissor keeper that you can hang around your neck. The shop provides all the materials to make it.


After the meeting, my hubby took me to eat an early dinner at my favorite Chinese restaurant, where we indulged in jasmine tea and chicken fried rice...


...and my hubby's favorite, Pad Thai Eugene...


The restaurant owner herself cooked the dishes for us. One of the things I like about her dishes is that they don't taste so heavy, oily, and greasy like some Chinese dishes can. It appears the secret might be the kind of oil she uses. I asked her as I thought I might consider using more of it in my Chinese cooking. So that was my Sunday afternoon. Not a bad one, was it? Now back to today... Before sitting down to right this blog post, I decided to try making a new healthier version of chocolate chip cookies that my friend gave me this month. It uses no flour or margarine/butter, and the chips are dark chocolate—my favorite type of chocolate! I'm letting the dough chill as I write this, then I'll pop the cookies in the oven! When I look at healthier recipes like this, I only want ones that don't sacrifice flavor. If it doesn't taste good, I won't eat it—no matter how much healthier it is! But if you can make an old favorite healthier while still tasting great, why not?!


And here's a feel-good story to leave you with before I close. Did any of you see last night's news segment about the koalas who were caught in those terrible Australian wildfires? Many suffered burns to their rumps and paws as they clung to burning trees. Well, local knitters are coming to their rescue by knitting special healing gloves to help them recover. I snapped this photo of one on my TV set. Aren't knitters and quilters the kindest people!? International donations of mittens are welcome, too. They require a special pattern to fit the koala's unusual paw shape. If you'd like to knit some mittens for them, the pattern can by found by clicking this link.



Why am I writing this? Because I have always had a soft spot for these adorable marsupials. As a kid, I collected stuffed koala bears instead of Barbies and dolls like my sister. This childhood photo of me shows me with my koala family. My mom saved all my koalas (which totaled 25) in a box for me, which I still have today.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Kimber how I enjoy reading your updates, you have such an interesting life, so jealous. I love all of the things you have done over the holidays up to today. I hope your exam turned out okay and things will slow down for you so that you will be able to take time for yourself. Stay in touch. hugs, Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a fun day! I love all of the Kim Diehl projects. I'm anxious to hear how your cookies turned out - I might need your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet of you to mention the koala mittens project all the way over there! I have heard that the charities who organised this have been inundated with mittens from all over the world as well as here in Australia! But they will be used eventually as sadly, there will always be bushfires, and koalas being slow moving animals get caught more so than others that can out run or fly away from the fires.
    They are cute little animals, aren't they. Even here in Australia, we love 'em to bits!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!