Thursday, January 29, 2015

COZY COMFORTS

After enjoying a high temperature of 50 degrees yesterday (which is pretty balmy for an Iowa winter), we're back to typical conditions today. It's cold and blustery—the kind of day that makes you want to nest indoors. I did have to venture out this morning to get a routine blood test done for my kidneys but I'm hoping to remain in the comfort of my home the rest of the day. Part of the benefit of working from home is that I can dress in sweats and my comfy, quirky slippers! How nice is that?!


This is the kind of day that calls for curling up with a warm cup of tea and a good book. I got this Matcha tea by Teavana for Christmas and am anxious to try it. For me, a good book involves Jane Austen. The Jane Austen Handbook: Proper Life Skills from Regency England offers a glimpse into day-to-day life in Jane Austen's time with tips on how to behave at your first ball and throw a dinner party. I don't imagine I'll ever have a need to put the former tips into practice but they're fun to read!


I also received these Teavana macaron tea tins, filled with loose tea leaves, for Christmas. The burgundy tin holds their Gingerbread tea, which has a sweet caramel apple flavor and the rust tin holds their Golden Monkey, which features golden-tipped black tea leaves and rich cocoa undertones. The tall yellow container harbors their Strawberry Cream white tea. After that container is empty, I plan to use it as a storage container for my sewing room as I don't think it will hold up to use in the kitchen with its pretty yet impractical paper wrapping.


After I finish my tea, I will resume sewing my latest project—a baby quilt. I am so excited that I am going to be an aunt! My husband's brother and wife are adopting a little girl. It is a joyous event for our entire family and we are eagerly anticipating her arrival. Because I love mixing patchwork and appliqué, I've decided to make another version of the below quilt (A Prairie Star pattern) that I made earlier. I like the pink and green color scheme and think it will be perfect for her room. 


I was originally debating between making the above quilt and the below Kitty Cucumber quilt made from a kit. I started it, too, so I can always change my mind on which to give her.


In addition to sewing, there is much work to be done here, too, but I'm taking a little break from that this afternoon to nurture my creativity. To see what I've been up to lately in the writing department, check out my previous post. 

4 comments:

  1. What cute slippers, Kimber. How exciting to have a new member of the family coming and becoming an aunt. Both quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that either quilt would be wonderful for your new niece. Congrats to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute slippers Kimber. They look warm and very cute to have on walking around the house; enough to brighten any one's spot on a cold day. I love both quilt choices. What a gift to be giving and a treasurer to receive. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those slippers and that quilt with the kitties is so darling! I always enjoy peeking in to see what you are up too!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!