Wednesday, October 29, 2014

AUTUMN REFLECTIONS

Fall usually flies by so quickly I barely know it's there. So this year, I'm trying to take the time to savor this beautiful season. That means stopping to notice the small things like these lovely freshly-fallen leaves on my driveway.


Having been ill for nearly two months this past summer reminded me that health is truly is our most precious gift. I count my blessings that mine was fully restored. Earlier this month I celebrated my recovery with a visit to the Downtown Des Moines Farmer's Market, where I was delighted to happen upon this colorful display of gourds galore.


I picked out the wartiest pumpkin I could find to bring home and put on my little green stand.


Fall flourishes can also be found indoors, where I display my festive lighted Halloween house on the piano.


Fall also means it's time for Houston's International Quilt Festival, which runs October 30–November 2. If you're lucky enough to go, please stop by Millie P's booth to see all the quilting eye candy and check out my latest pattern, Florabunda (pictured below). I hadn't been planning to complete it in time for the Festival but finished it just in time for Becky, the shop owner, to take it with her. So she will be the only carrying it at IQF. I hope you'll stop by her booth to see all the wonderful things she has in store for you. And if you're in the Anoka, MN, area, be sure to stop her colorful shop! It's definitely worth the drive. 


The only thing I don't like about fall this year is that I have to do some clothes shopping as I was left with only a couple fall/winter tops that fit after my illness. So until I can fit back into those, I need a few things to make do on. Well, anyone who knows me knows that I abhor clothes shopping. Last week, my hubby had to practically drag me to a store where he was hoping I could find some fall clothes but what did I do instead? We spent the entire evening in the shoe department. While I hate clothes shopping, I do LOVE looking at shoes and bags. I've been searching for a nice set of wellies to wear rain or shine. When I spotted these blue floral English ones, I knew I had to try them on. Sorry the shot is not so good. I did not have my camera along, so hubby had to take it with his crummy work phone.


I had so much fun trying these on! It seems these were meant to be mine as they even had one left in size 5, which fit me perfectly. 


Not only did they go home with me but also a pair of cute pink and cognac duck boots and these adorable gray rain boots, pictured below. The gray boots are also available as small as a size 5, which again fit perfectly. I spent the sunny weekend wearing these everywhere. No need to wait for a rainy day—they look just as cute on anyone in the sunshine!



My hubby was a good sport for taking me out and not coming home with a single item of clothing but three pairs of boots instead! I'd gladly pay someone to shop for my clothes so I don't have to. I even tried a personal styling/shopping online service. You give them your measurements and likes/dislikes and for a nominal styling fee, they send you a selection of clothes to try in the comfort of your home. You can send anything back you don't like free of charge. I tend to go for pretty simple fare like these turquoise cropped pants and cozy gray flannel skirt, which I did decide to keep since they fit well.


This past summer, I was looking for a dress for a special occasion and they sent me this cute black one, which much to my surprise, fit me perfectly. Best yet, it was only $35 but I would have gladly spent more on it just not to have to look for it myself!



I could get used to this service but I'd still rather spend my money on shoes and bags—or fabric—any day!

7 comments:

  1. Cute dress and boots! They look cute on you. Can you tell me what brand they are?
    Thanks!
    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your argyle in the picture! I have a thing for argyle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those boots are very fancy, Kimber. I love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww the dress is so cute and the dress is very lovely..
    so sweet
    big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you! Hate to shop for clothes. But those boots...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Florabunda is a beautiful piece of work!! Love the gumboots as well, very swish for the garden LOL!!! I loathe clothes shopping as well, it's always a pain....I have one local boutique and the woman who owns it knows exactly what I like, so don't even bother looking at the racks !!, she just brings me what she thinks will look good to the change room, and I always end up with a few pieces for the season that I just love..... just like your online thingy, I had a little chuckle to myself as I was reading your post about this, glad I'm not the only one.....LOL!!! I hope your health continues to improve...btw...are those warty pumpkins edible? I've never seen them here in Australia....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those boots are adorable, love the dress, turquoise jeans and gray skirt. The one thing I was most interested in was the pink purse you didn't mention :) What brand is that? You know how we both love pink. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!