Thursday, September 11, 2014

SPOOL DREAM COME TRUE

If you're a regular reader of my blog, you might remember this wooden spool pincushion and scissor keeper that I designed last year.


I'm always on the lookout for vintage wooden spools to craft into creations like those above and more. In fact, I'm getting ready to sew up a new "garden" of scissor keepers and coneflower pincushions. Thanks to my sweet dad-in-law, I hit the jackpot with spools. It was the stuff that spool dreams are made of. He recently surprised me with this treasure trove of vintage wooden spools in a 12-inch tall bag filled with more than 100 of them!


Here is a small sampling of what was inside.


I was delighted to find that there were even some vintage needle holders! I can't wait to dress some of those up in wool.


I love the graphics on these vintage wooden spools and boxes. They just don't make them like this anymore. A big thank you to my dad-in-law for gifting me these awesome treasures!


7 comments:

  1. Oh how I love old sewing notions. Your spool things are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! And what a nice FIL you have! Hope all is well with you, you've been in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My LQS has your spool flowers on display - and I ooh & aah over them every time I go in! Nice that your FIL knows you enough to know what makes you happy - life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have you back blogging. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the spools! The vintage spools have a special place in my heart. I like to scan the images of the spools and vintage boxes and put them in a file on my computer. Then when I want to use a vintage spool label on a craft project I just print one off. The scanned labels also make the wooden spools that you buy in the craft department look vintage! Your spool kit is adorable. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stash enhancer; great spool flowers-love everything you do. You are so creative

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!