Monday, September 8, 2014

FALL FUN AT MINGLEWOOD LODGE

It feels like ages since I last posted. My only excuse is the overlowing pile of work that awaited me once I recovered from my recent health issue last month. I've been preparing the latest issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects to go to press next week. Just in time for the holidays, we have some bonus gift tags and appliqué templates to help you with your gift-giving. Watch for more details later this month! We're still working on the cover but here's how it's shaping up. We hope you'll like the new look of the magazine title and the top banner detailing our focus features—quilting, rug hooking, and stitching. I welcome any constructive comments. Feel free to drop me a line by clicking the Email Me button under my profile pic.


One week, I literally didn't leave the house because I had so much work to catch up on. Needless to say, I was ready to escape the house, and a recent quilt book trunk show for one of the quilt books I edited gave me an excuse to do so since it was just a couple hours drive and therefore, a nice and easy relaxing day trip for me. The Quilted Moose in Gretna, Nebraska, hosted my author, Betsy Chutchian, for a special book signing of her hot-off-the-press book, Just Treats, No Tricks! The shop's owner, Deb Roberts, hosted the event in her charming Minglewood Lodge just a short drive from her quilt shop. This rustic fireplace lent a beautiful backdrop for Betsy's talk.


Betsy brought quilts from all four of her books with The Kansas City Star—Gone to Texas, Lizzie's Legacy, History Repeated, and Just Treats, No Tricks (the latter two of which I edited).


Attendees were treated to a fabulous show of quilted eye candy and fun tidbits detailing some of the wonderful stories behind these beauties.




It was fun to revisit some of the quilt projects that are featured in Betsy's latest book, Just Treats, No Tricks. They will definitely get you in the mood for fall! This little quilt called Max's Matches was inspired by vintage matchbooks in Betsy's dad's collection.



As a book editor, you occasionally get the opportunity to name some of the projects. I had a fun time naming this sweet little bag "Jack Be Little" and his larger counterpart "Jack Bewitched."


We called this hooked version of Betsy's chair pads "Cozy Comforts."


Searching for a fun fall pinkeep? Try this sweet wool bat named Batilda! In the book, you'll find a couple bonus projects as well.


We had quite a crowd for the event.


Deb and her team staged a gorgeous fall tablescape with lots of edible delights for guests to snack on. The dips were especially scrumptious.


How can you not love fall looking at this scenic table setting?


If you ever have an opportunity to attend a quilt retreat or event at Minglewood Lodge, you're in for a treat. I shot this photo of the cozy kitchen from the stairs that lead to the second floor bedrooms. The shop hosted two workshops by Betsy at the lodge the following two days after the trunk show. I had to return home right after the trunk show on Wednesday but it was a fun quick trip for this editor who was getting some serious cabin fever!



5 comments:

  1. Hi Kimber. Looks like you certainly had a wonderful time. Those quilts are gorgeous. What a pity I live so far away. It would be wonderful to go to a retreat there. I hope you are keeping well. Hugs, Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I definitely put me in the mood for fall :) Looks like an amazingly fun place to have a retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! That book trunk show looked like so much fun. I love Betsey's quilts and books. Looks like I need to buy this new one for sure! Glad you're feeling well now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimber, I love your updates, so fun to read about your latest adventures and work. I know you work hard editing, etc. however it seems like a fun job. Can't wait to see you next week for a belated birthday lunch. hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for posting these photos. I was supposed to attend but I'm in the midst of chemo treatment and wasn't up to it. I sure missed a good time.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!