Wednesday, September 17, 2014

COOKIES AND QUILTS

Cookies and quilts. Sounds like a delightful combination, doesn't it? Well, it's a lovely day for a blog post here at Ashton House. We just sent the latest edition of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine to the printer this morning, leaving me to enjoy a leisurely afternoon of cookie baking. With fall in the air, I was in the mood for pumpkin cookies. I'm making a healthy version of them, which contains NO sugar or flour. I did sprinkle the tops of them with mini chocolate chips since I don't like a lot of chocolate. I used a non-sugar natural sweet baking substitute in place of the sugar.


Instead of regular flour, I used oat "flour" (aka oats that are processed until they are the consistency of flour). If you can't find oat flour, you can find lots of easy guides on how to make your own on the internet. For small amounts like what this recipe calls for, I like to use my Cuisinart mini food chopper instead of my regular food processor. And in case you're wondering, yes, it's pink! No other color brightens my world quite like this hue does!


While the cookies are baking, I thought I'd share some wonderful photos from a fellow quilter's home, which I'm featuring with her permission. This past Sunday afternoon, I had the pleasure of visiting my friend Marge's home for tea time and an introduction to the latest quilting class she's leading at one of the local quilt shops. She invited all her past students and future students to her beautiful home. I've been to Marge's home before and believe me, you're in for a treat!


Since I decided to scale back on my work starting now, I'm actually able to take her class. It seems like ages since I've been able to take a quilt class and it feels great. The class Marge is leading is Kim Diehl's Simple Whatnots class with an added bonus that Marge will also be sharing tidbits of Iowa farmwife history and a mini lesson on a sewing technique with an additional crafty project to make. I'd say that's a pretty good value for this six-month quilt class that costs $50 at The Quilt Block! I've taken classes from Marge before and she's an excellent and kind teacher. Don't you love Marge's sewing room (below)? It's decorated with lots of fun vintage finds, including antique toy sewing machines and vintage sewing accessories.


This darling vintage child's drying rack holds an enchanting array of doll quilts. Marge has another child's size drying rack filled with quilts nearby--you can see a hint of it in the previous photo.


This sweet vignette of quilts and doll accessories is just outside her sewing room. Marge is a decorator after my own heart—she loves to fill walls with her finds. They're meant to be used after all! A bare wall always looks so sad to me.


Marge and I both like to collect vintage doll cupboards. Here's another one of her cupboard treasures that pairs perfectly with a little antique crazy quilt.


It sits atop another table that reveals a treasure trove of antique quilts. Indeed, every nook and cranny is filled in Marge's home!


This cheerful little cabinet enlightens an area just off Marge's kitchen. I love how she paired it with a quilt and shelf enlightened by vintage lunch boxes.


In a lot of houses, a wall like this might go unused but not in Marge's. It showcases everything from aprons to mini vintage lanterns.


Quilts even take center stage in bathrooms. 


After all of Marge's students had the opportunity to explore her charming home, we gathered for tea and treats served on beautiful vintage china snack sets. 


After the tea, Marge treated us a trunk show of some of her many quilts. Marge had this beauty on her design wall.


This medallion masterpiece was made with a wonderful center chintz panel imported from overseas. Marge's quilts have won many ribbons over the years. As you can see, she is a very talented quilter.


And you might remember this captivating quilt pattern from Cheryl of So Many Quilts, So Little Time who graciously provided patterns for it on her blog a couple years ago—or was it a few years ago. I've lost track of time! Marge's version certainly turned out beautifully.


Well, I hope you enjoyed this little quilted house tour—or should I say BIG quilted house tour. There's so much more that I wasn't able to show you in a single post. If you're like me, seeing warmly decorated homes like these renews enthusiasm for the pleasures of an everyday haven where we can be surrounded by the things we love most. 

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tour, Kimber, I certainly enjoyed it. Everything is Marge's house is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tour of Marge's home....wonderful displays of quilts and collections. Thank you for sharing her version of my sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect dream bungalow ... both inside and out! I could be happy here forever ... and one can sense a coziness and welcoming warmth about this special place. Thank you so much for sharing. This beautiful place is going on my vision board!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small world...I know Marge from AQSG. Thanks for the beautiful photos of her home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful how I would love to come visit Marge and see her quilts I am in awe, just beautiful
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you share the recipe for the cookies or share what you substitute for sugar? Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!