Friday, August 8, 2014


Three weeks ago, I found a lump in my sweet cat Poe's neck, and last Thursday, he underwent surgery to remove it. He had previously undergone two other surgeries in the last year and a half to remove lumps in the same area. This time, the doctor suspected cancer due to the shape and area of the lump and we were told to prepare for the worst but hope for the best. Evidently, there is an aggressive type of cancer caused by the very things that are supposed to protect our furry friends—rabies and feline leukemia vaccinations, and Poe's lump was in that exact area. He was given a 50/50 chance of it being cancer. Worst yet, we had to wait a week for the biopsy results. It was agony. God answered our prayers yesterday when the doctor called with good news, letting us know that Poe beat the odds and that his lump was a fatty benign tumor. Even the doctor said that he was surprised it wasn't cancer. After losing Poe's brother Teddy so recently, I wasn't sure how I was going to get through the loss of another furry friend. Below is a photo of Poe recuperating. You can see the spot where his back hair had to be shaved for surgery.

When it rains, it pours as I have also been dealing with my own health issue the past few weeks. It became so bad that I couldn't keep any food down (even a popsicle) and ended up on anti-nausea medication among other things. So if I owe you a return email or call, please be patient as I play catch up. I think the best medicine of all was just hearing that Poe was okay. I have much to be grateful for, and trying times like these always serve as good reminders of that, although I have always been one to value the meaning of gratitude. One blessing is that my mother-in-law came to stay with me for several days this week to look after me because I felt so ill. She took such good care of me. Some people are just natural caregivers and Mom is one of those rare gems. One night while I was recuperating on the sofa, my hubby took Mom out to dinner as a thank you for helping us. When they returned, the hubby woke me up and Mom surprised me with my very own iPad! So now I have a new toy to play with when I feel better.