Tuesday, July 15, 2014

QUILT BOOKS AND CHOLESTEROL

It's a great day here at Ashton House. I'm making good progress on two of the quilt books that I'm editing this quarter. The one closest to completion is Betsy Chutchian's ode to autumn joys. The title is Just Treats, No Tricks: Bewitching Quilts and More to Celebrate Autumn. Her love of all things Halloween is a common thread throughout the book but you will find much more than just fun accents for that holiday. There are plenty of autumn-inspired quilts and projects to enjoy, too!


Not far behind Betsy's book is Dawn Heese's latest title, Autumn Splendor: Folk Art Quilts and Projects. Inspired by the splendor of the season, Dawn has created a charming cornucopia of six quilts and two coordinating smaller projects. With her folk-art flair for appliqué and patchwork, she puts a fresh twist on autumn-inspired motifs. Don't you love the kitty on the straw bale on the cover? Luckily, both Dawn and Betsy are fellow cat lovers.


Both books will be released in September, so be sure to watch for them at your favorite quilt shop! And stop back in August for a giveaway when I'll share more details about both books.

In other good news, I just got a good report from my doctor at my appointment today! My blood pressure is now down to 98/68, an all-time low for me (and that's with no medications). I've been off my blood pressure medication for more than a year now and it feels great. My cholesterol numbers had also improved from last year and especially from 2012—again without any medications of any kind. My doctor said that it's best to have a total cholesterol level of less than 200 and mine is now 154, down from 220 in 2012 and 194 in 2013. My triglycerides (fat in the blood) level is now 81—down from 133 in 2012. My doctor said the ideal range for triglycerides is under 150 and under 90 is even better. I'm still battling some kidney issues but am hopeful they'll improve soon. Now I'm celebrating the good news by eating a couple blue raspberry cookies my hubby made last night! Yum! Yes, my doctor would probably cringe at this but a girl's gotta have her sugar, right?! 


I've also been making good progress on my summer-cleaning venture. I've been tackling my bedroom closet and gathered six whole bags of handbags as well as clothes which no longer fit to donate to Goodwill. I realize this venture is long overdue as I still have some clothes from my college days! The only down side to the cleaning fest is that it left only a handful of clothes in my closet. Most are pink.


Well, I suppose I should get back to work now. I was just so elated about my cholesterol reading that I had to record the great news with a blog post.

12 comments:

  1. Dawn's book peaks my interest! How did you get your cholesterol to go down so much, may I ask?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what have you been doing to bring your BP down??

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are having a great day! Can't wait to see both of the books, I really like both authors. And great news on your health - good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful that you don't have to take bp medicine anymore! And....I have never heard of Blue Raspberry cookies - very intriguing! Glad you can enjoy some sweets every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great numbers! Congratulations on your achievement. It's tough work dropping cholesterol levels. Enjoy your cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your health news is definitely something to share! We all need to hear success stories! Thanks for sharing the book news as well. There haven't been many to thrill me lately and these two do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see the Just Treats, No Tricks book--looks like it is right up my alley :)
    So happy to hear about your good health report!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice to hear your good health news, Kimber! I'm looking forward to Betsy Chutchian's book. She and I have the same feeling about Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouraging words about the health and book, Jan! Tried to find your blog to respond but for some reason couldn't. Can you send me a link to it? Kimber

      Delete
  9. Awesome news Kimber on your health. You are doing great. Xoxo Mary A

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!