Thursday, February 20, 2014

MORE PRE-SPRING CLEANING

The pre-Spring cleaning fest continues here at Ashton House, and with it comes the opportunity to bring out fresh quilts to display around the house. While washing the sheets for the two Jenny Lind twin beds in one of our spare bedrooms, I thought I'd audition some new old quilts to display on them. This room is home to many of my vintage 1930s/40s/50s quilts and treasured heirlooms like teddy bears, doll beds, and Peter Rabbit figurines that spark fond childhood memories.


While cleaning out another closet over the weekend, I also found a large box of cross stitch fabric. Since my stitching friends tend to use only linen and these were not, I donated it to Goodwill. I have only a few more boxes of it and will probably end up sending those to Goodwill, too.


I also decided it's time to get rid of my old Cricut personal electronic cutter. If you're in the Des Moines area and interested in purchasing it cheaply, let me know. I only used it a few times before I upgraded to their Imagine machine, but I don't think I have the cutting mat for it anymore (however, you can buy those separately and inexpensively in stores). THE CRICUT HAS BEEN PURCHASED, THANKS!


Before I close, I wanted to share a few precious Valentine's Day gifts that I received from my husband this year. The weather was not the best that day so we stayed in and had a nice grilled cod dinner, which I prepared on my stovetop grill. He gave me this sweet card featuring two of my favorite themes—kitties and a bicycle.


When I opened it up, I was serenaded by a melody you might hear in some Parisian bistro. 


I even got a card from my two kitties, Teddy and Poe.


The hubby gave me lovely trio of flowering African violets and a gift certificate to get some of my favorite Too Faced and Urban Decay cosmetics. I was also delighted to receive this new cast-iron teapot, pink watch made of recycled materials, and soft blue ceramic holder for my bamboo matcha tea whisker. It was another lovely Valentine's Day that I will look back on fondly. Now I should get back to auditioning those quilts for the beds. Decisions, decisions!

3 comments:

  1. What darling gifts from your hubby! I'd say he's a keeper. And that card from your cats is precious. I love the quilt you picked for your bed. Would love to see which one you decide on. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the blue background on your quilt, such a nice diversion from other quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the card is one of your favorite colors - pink! He puts so much thought into his gifts. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!