Thursday, February 13, 2014

CLEANING FEST

For some reason this week, I got the notion to get a jump-start on my spring cleaning and have been having a ball cleaning out one of my closets. In a box at the bottom of the closet, I found some cool vintage sewing finds from a past antiques excursion in Minnesota. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning uncovering boxes of goodies like this...


I've seen lots of clever vintage thread racks before but none exactly like this one. When it's shut, it looks like this. It came with all the vintage wooden thread spools on it.


When it's folded out, it looks like this. At $10 (originally $12.50), it was a little more than I wanted to pay but it was unique enough and in good enough shape, that I decided to go for it!


I was delighted to find this vintage scalloped thread holder for $17.50 (originally $19.50). I've been debating whether to paint it since I don't think it is particularly old or valuable. It was the scalloped design that had me hooked.


If you read my blog regularly, you know I'm a sucker for vintage pink pearl buttons—so much so, that I broke my own rule about not paying more than $1 per button card. I rarely see the pink ones, so I had to snatch these up. My camera didn't quite capture the color of the buttons just right. They are a hot coral pink.


In the closet, I also found boxes and boxes of old fabric that I know I'll never use. So I packed them in bags to send to my grandma for her Project Linus quilts.


By the time I was done, I had three bags full of fabric (about 125 yards total)! I figured they might as well go to someone who can put them to much better use than I am. Some pieces were home dec fabric left over from prop sales from when I worked at as a magazine editor at Meredith Corporation (home of Better Homes and Gardens magazine). Grandma uses all types of fabrics for her quilts, so I knew she would love to have them. Next, I'll be hitting my sewing room to see if there are cotton fabrics I no longer need.


After thoroughly cleaning out the closet, I decided to hit our home library, where I found 48 home decorating books, quilt books, and cookbooks to donate to the local library. 


Lastly, I decided it was time to get real about some of the furniture in my house. This old Victorian sofa is one such example (I took this photo shortly after we moved into our house, so we hadn't even gotten the room in order yet but it gives you a good enough idea of what the sofa looked like). The sofa was lovely and went well with the style of our old Victorian home, but its wide cushions never fit my short legs well. I figure life is too short to deal with furniture that doesn't fit me well anymore, so off it went to Goodwill along with a matching coffee table. I must admit, it felt good to clear out some of the clutter—although I'm the kind of person who likes a little clutter in my house! To me, a generous stack of old books or a collage of collectibles feels cozy. I'm not one for sparse decorating!


3 comments:

  1. I'm cleaning here too. I have no time over spring and summer it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thread holders Kimber. It always feels good when you have a clean out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimber, you are an inspiration. I may start my spring cleaning this weekend as well and start in my sewing room as I need to declutter and get rid of things I will never use. Thanks for the inspiration. Enjoy and big hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!