Wednesday, November 20, 2013

QUILTS, BUTTONS, AND A BOOK

Yes, I'm still here! Thank you to those who have written asking how and where I am! Something terrible happened a few weeks ago and I'm still trying to get my feet back on the ground from it. However, I don't want to dwell on the negative, so I thought I'd post about a few positive things that have happened since my last post. Over the weekend, I went to a vintage button sale and found a few treasures to take home with me. The three pink pieces in the top right are unused vintage button cards from Iowa! How fun is that?! It's so neat to see many of the buttons still on the cards as the cards are often adorned with enchanting artwork. I also found a few more pearl buttons to add to my collection and some wonderful cut-work turquoise buttons from the 60s.


I also enjoyed going to my Prairie Women's Sewing Circle last Saturday. This was our final installment of the club since the shop that hosts our group has decided not to continue the program next year. Our guest speaker was local soapmaker Sue Denny, who shared some history on soap and showed us how to make soap (We all went home with our own soaps). Sue makes lots of heavenly-scented soaps. Pictured below are her Roasted Nuts and Citrus Blush soaps. Practically all of us indulged in a few bars for ourselves! I plan on putting mine in my linen closet and kitchen pantry to take advantage of their wonderful scents before I use them.


In between work deadlines, I even managed to complete a little quilt. I had made one in the same fabrics several years ago but had given it away as a gift, so now I have one to keep in my home. The quilt pattern is by Tara Darr of Sew Unique Creations. Speaking of Tara, we are at work on a follow-up book to her highly successful book, Simply Charming: Small Scrap Quilts of Yesteryear. If you love scrappy little quilts, you'll definitely want to get the book, which does not yet have a name! It won't be out until next spring.


While on a recent shopping trip, I spotted this antique quilt set in a zigzag pattern. I don't have a lot of purple quilts but this one spoke to me for some reason, and the price was right at $60! I'm no quilt dating expert but it seems like it might have been made in the late 1800s based on the fabrics. It has many of the same fabrics that are in one of my other quilts that was dated to the late 19th century and I didn't see any black fabrics in it. It's hand-quilted and hand-pieced. If you have any guesses as to when it might have been made, feel free to chime in. I was delighted to find that it was in excellent condition. I plan to make it in a smaller size for one of my doll beds. 


The weekend before last, I managed to escape my office and my growing pile of work deadlines to see author Amy Tan speak in Des Moines. Earlier this year, my mahjong group had heard she was coming to town, and I definitely wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to see her. I loved her book, The Joy Luck Club, and the movie by the same name that came out in 1993. If you haven't seen it, you should!


She was an excellent speaker and was going to read from her new book, The Valley of Amazement, but ended up talking a lot about her childhood and her relationship with her mother. Did you know she's part of a rock-and-roll band called the Rock Bottom Remainders, which consists of published writers, including Stephen King, Dave Barry, and Mitch Albom (love his Tuesdays with Morrie book!)? You can see some videos of them on YouTube. I couldn't get a good photo of her but I did manage to quickly snap this one of her speaking with the moderator. I'm afraid the quality is quite poor due to my cheap camera!


I was delighted to have her sign my copy of her book, The Hundred Secret Senses, which I have had since 1995.


Well, that wraps up what I've been up to besides work, which probably wouldn't make for a very interesting post!

11 comments:

  1. Love that 4 patch quilt. And I love Amy Tan! Her latest book is really good too. I knew about the rock band -- I think it's so neat that those authors have that band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many interesting things you had to share! Keep looking at the positive, it really does get you through some tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimber, I hope everything is okay now; I have been wondering about you however always know you keep busy with work so don't like to both you. I hope you know I am always here if you need to talk or need anything. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're back Kimber. I love all your button treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also want to send good wishes regarding whatever trials you are going thru.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are okay! Great little quilt and quilt find! Love the trivia about Amy Tan and the band.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We play Mahjong, or a western version of it since the people we learned from had their own version....how fun, one more thing we have in common! Wow you have been doing some fun things. I LOVED the button cards! Hope things are back to ship shape for you, its' always fun to see what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope everything is ok! You sure have been busy with some fun things - love your little quilt, and the antique - I think you got a great deal on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The purple in your quilt is just awesome!! It is hard to find purple that has not lost its coloring--it must have been stored properly. I think your dating is correct. Sorry to hear about the bad--but glad you can focus on the good. You have a warm and supporting family & that is what matters in our lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my Granny's buttons and love the cutwork and the carded buttons; I use them for special family projects. I really enjoyed ALL the ladies with the Prairie Woman Sewing Circle and hope they enjoyed making their own soap. Don't forget to use yours; especially the Roasted Nuts this winter! BTW, the little quilt is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!