Saturday, October 12, 2013

CATCH OF THE DAY

With this summer's unseasonably hot temperatures and devastating drought, I was especially eager to greet fall this year. The only thing I'll miss about summer is all the wonderful fresh fish that my husband and I were able to enjoy, compliments of friends and family. My father-in-law is an avid fisherman who often catches 30 bluegill during a single fishing trip and occasionally a catfish or large-mouth bass. We are also blessed to enjoy fresh fish from one of my husband's coworkers, who caught some wonderful walleye during a trip to Canada. We had the last of it this evening. Instead of frying it like we usually do, I breaded it lightly, baked it, and served it with some plain quinoa (pictured in the last photo of this post) cooked in low-sodium chicken broth and broccoli.


Besides being a delicious treat, fresh fish has had another positive impact on my life. A recent trip to my doctor revealed that I've been able to lower my cholesterol 40 points from borderline high to well within ideal range in just three months—with NO medication of any kind and no other dietary changes or any exercise! The only change I made was adding fresh fish to my diet two times a week as much as possible—we don't always have it that often. My husband and his dad are planning a fishing trip up north this winter and hope to catch walleye, perch, and pike. I can't wait to see what they bring home! Fresh fish in the middle of winter would be a real treat.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks wonderful. My husband is not a huge fish eater, but I love all kinds. I have not tried quinoa , but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on lowering your cholesterol. I've been trying to lower mine, too. I'll have to try eating more fish!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... may I pull up a chair for dinner this evening? :-) Fresh fish is always a favorite... broiled trout and pan fried perch used to be my entire Summer vacation menu when I was a kid... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is great news.... I love fresh fish, and your menus sound delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!