Tuesday, October 15, 2013

AUTUMN AT ASHTON HOUSE

It is finally starting to look and feel like autumn here at Ashton House, where summer's sweltering days have thankfully been replaced by cool, crisp days and a splendid show of falling leaves. The Victorian hand decoration on our front door, which usually grasps a "Welcome Friends" sign, now holds a simple tussie mussie filled with autumn splendor.


While antiquing in Minneapolis last month, I spotted this rusty old little truck and put it in my cart. I got a strange look from my husband, who wondered why I'd want to buy such a thing. But I knew its wonderful weathered patina would make a great fall accent for our porch when paired with autumn's bountiful harvest of gourds.


I found the perfect-size gourds for my little truck at this pumpkin stand in Pella when my mother-in-law passed through there on a visit to my grandma's. The teeny ones are barely 2 inches tall. 


I love the friendly feel of small towns like Pella, where people still trust others to do the right thing. Another bonus? The gourds were a much better price than in larger towns like Des Moines! 

5 comments:

  1. Your little truck looks great Kimber. I just love all the pumpkins. We don't decorate for Halloween here in Australia. If I lived over there in the US, I would just love to decorate the house. I'd have pumpkins everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kimber,
    I love the decoration on your door, and the door knocker! Cute truck, it turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this cooler weather just great? Love it! And I love that cute little truck - just perfect for your tiny gourds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my, this is so pretty. I almost feel like things such as this don;t exist anymore.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!