Tuesday, August 6, 2013

HEAVENLY HOLLYHOCKS

For many years, my grandma has saved seeds from her hollyhocks and shared them with family members. Her hollyhocks are not the ordinary kind that you can find at garden centers. They're old-fashioned varieties that have bloomed for decades on her farm. They have survived the years because generous gardeners like her pass them on to others so that they can grace more gardens. Isn't it a joy to share your bounty with others? That is an important lesson I've learned from my grandma. I just had to share a photo of this beautiful hollyhock from Grandma's garden with you. It was in full bloom when I visited her last week.


And just look at this pale pink beauty! It was enough to make my heart go pitter patter!


I also enjoyed seeing the many vibrant rose hips, which mingled prettily with the hollyhocks.


My hope is that these photos will brighten your day just as they did mine. I'll be back soon with pics from my visit to the flea market.

13 comments:

  1. They are truly beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful! The photos did brighten my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the tall hollyhocks, foxgloves and delphiniums are my absolute passion! I think of the as the Tasha Tudor flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pale pink one is VERY pretty. My friend has Hollyhocks that her husband planted in their back yard. The summer after her husband unexpectedly pasted away one started growing by her front door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your hollyhocks are beautiful! I have hollyhocks that look just like yours from my grandma's garden! She is no longer with us and her property and hollyhocks belong to someone else now but I am so glad I can see them bloom in my garden year after year. Mine get rust spots so bad, does yours?
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kimber, I love your hollyhocks-absolutely beautiful. BTW thank you so much for the birthday gift. You are so kind and generous and make me feel special. I am thankful to have you as a friend. Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those hollyhocks - so "English" and romantic! Can't seem to grow them well here but thanks for the reminder of spring.
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hollyhocks, and have tried many times to plant them....but they just never seem to take! Darn! This heirloom one is gorgeous! Yay Grammy! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My grandparents always had hollyhocks on the farm, so I naturally always thought they belonged in my garden too. Your Grandmother's are beautiful examples.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My grandmother used to grow these in her yard & she would make the flower into a skirt---and add other flowers to make a doll!! They were delicate and smelled heavenly---I sure miss her!! Thanks for the memory pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful flowers - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Your photos did brighten my day. I wished I had listened closer to my Grammy who was a wonderful gardener of flowers. Some of my favorites are still the old fashioned ones she grew-iris, roses, peonies, morning glories. She died when I as in 7th grade. I think she propagated some roses with the hips and small jars in her rock gardens, but I have no idea how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous flowers. We have a few hollyhocks and I think they are an amazing flower.

    So very pretty!
    d

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!