Thursday, July 25, 2013

TINY TREASURES AT MY PRAIRIE WOMEN'S SEWING CIRCLE MEETING

It was so delightful to hear from all of you who left comments about my new pink bike in my previous post! Glad to hear there are lots of fellow pink lovers out there! I'm back today with a quick recap of my latest Prairie Women's Sewing Circle group, which meets once a month at our local library. This month, our guest speaker was my friend, Marge, who took us on a fascinating historical tour of textiles from 1600s through the 1900s. Marge is an antique doll quilt collector, and it was such a treat to see some of her tiny treasures. I'll let the photos speak for themselves. Marge found these 19th-century gems on her many trips to antiques shows and fairs.




Marge recently returned from a textile tour in France and found this lovely antique lap protector embellished with cording and stuffing. 


She also found this enchanting toile print while in France.


Last I spoke with Marge, I believe she was going to pattern some of her tiny treasures, so if you're interested in making any of the designs you see in this post, you might want to check with her to see if she has a pattern available or to ask her permission to make them. Simply email me and I can put you in touch with her (please email me directly rather than leaving a comment as many of you are non-reply bloggers, meaning I have no way to return your email because no email address comes through with your message).

Marge also brought some wonderful 19th-century clothing to share with the group. My how tiny the women's waists were! Marge told us that this block-printed dress uses straight pins for closures.


And just look at this darling copper-plated girl's dress from the Civil War era. 


And here's another darling piece of 19th-century clothing from Marge's collection—a sweet doll apron. The pink print in the background is a reproduction but offers a nice backdrop for the little apron.


These photos only scratch the very surface of all the fun things we learned last Saturday and at all our Prairie Women's Sewing Circles. I almost hesitated to post the photos here because I want to encourage those local quilters who can actually attend to join us in person, but I did want to share them with all of you fellow bloggers who live farther away and can't join us. If you want to catch all the action, I highly recommend joining us. Every meeting not only includes the typical PWSC program but a guest speaker as well! With the additional historical programs facilitated by our shop owner, Jacque, this program is a terrific value. I will be giving one of the programs on the history of pincushions and sharing some of my new 19th-century-inspired pincushion designs later this year. To join, call Jacque at 515/993-1170.

7 comments:

  1. I loved seeing these treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been so interesting listening to Marge. Thanks for showing us some photos. I love the dresses. It makes you think about who would have worn them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if a could convince some of the quilters in my guild to meet like this...thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing all that wonderful antique fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kimber,
    Thanks for posting these -I'm so glad you did. It is the only way some of us get to see them. What a wonderful collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a person after my own heart...doll quilts and aprons, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely group to belong to. Nice visual aids and fun info!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!