Monday, June 17, 2013

VINTAGE FINDS

In anticipation of flea market season, last month I bought an ordinary metal collapsible cart like the kind that people love to take along to outdoor markets, etc. I snagged it at a garage sale for only $5 and figured I could spiff it up with a fresh coat of spray paint in guess what color? Pink, of course! I also added a fun fabric liner made with vintage and new linens, including an embroidered dresser scarf that creates a pocket in the interior. So with a little effort, my cart went from this...


To this...


Perfect for a pink lover like me, don't you think?! I got a chance to give it a workout at the annual Walnut Antiques Walk last week. We've had so much rain here in central Iowa that I was afraid we wouldn't be able to go. And sure enough, shortly after we stepped outside the truck, it started to sprinkle. Luckily, the rain only lasted 30 minutes and it was cool and clear for the rest of our stay. The foreboding skies didn't seem to keep the crowd away. We ran into several people we knew, including blogging buddy, Brenda, of the Farmer's Dotter. One of the first things I spotted was this fun vintage metal recipe box in my favorite colors and a vintage tea towel—both of which I had to get. 


The best part about the box was that it was filled with some lady's recipes. I've already found a few I'd like to try!


Then I spotted this vintage breadbox in another one of my favorite color palettes—pink and gray. The dealer gave us a great deal on it, so it did go home with me. I love the fact that it WASN'T perfect. I already have a project in mind for it.


Another favorite find was this pink vintage toy piano, which I couldn't resist adding to my toy piano collection. Are you starting to detect a color theme here?


I spotted several vintage crocheted potholders similar to the collection I inherited from my mom-in-law. Have you noticed that little vintage suitcases have become quite popular? 


I didn't see many antique quilts this time. Over the years, I've purchased several quilts in Walnut, some costing as little as $65 but it's not the best place to find antique quilts for a bargain.


One of my favorite dealers had an alluring assortment of antique doorstops. They cost a pretty penny, though, so I decided to admire them rather than buy them!


She also had this sweet little sewing basket. Its satin tufted interior was pristine.


This antique sewing needle display also caught my eye.


One booth had lots of fun vintage sewing items, including this weathered sewing box...


...and this child's sewing machine...


Wooden bobbins were quite plentiful at the show. 


I fell in love with this darling antique horse pulltoy, but his $135 price tag didn't fit my budget.


I also have a fondness for primitive spice chests, antique books with pretty covers, and old mantels (see below three photos).




I could envision this neat antique store counter in a quilt shop.


Before I knew it, it was time to go home. I missed stopping by Prairie Star Quilts in Elk Horn on my way back like I usually do. Julie and her staff were always so warm and helpful. On Sunday, my husband and I visited his parents and enjoyed a nice seafood dinner with them. I also called my dad to wish him a very happy Father's Day. My dad might not have known all the answers to life's many questions like my mom seemed to, but he was always there to lend a helping hand. He bought the weekly groceries (my mom dislikes grocery shopping and cooking), surprised us with root beer floats, taught us how to make chocolate chip cookies, and made the most delicious pot roast and meatloaf.

7 comments:

  1. Your shopping trolley looks great Kimber. So many gorgeous finds too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your vintage finds! You see things in the midwest we just don't see here in the deep south. I have been feeling antique/vintage/flea market deprived lately, so your visuals were great eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your little pink pull cart! I have a white hobnail lamp I painted a lime green...but I think it needs to be pink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kimber,
    What fun it would have been to tag along with you! You got some fun stuff. I can't believe the recipe cards were still in that box, how funny! I like antique doorstops too.
    Have a great week!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a makeover you gave your cart and what a great idea! Glad you found some treasures to take home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful remodel on that cart, Kimber! And thanks for taking us along to see all those wonderful treasures. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kimber for sharing your stroll through the antique isles and showing all your great find

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!