Sunday, June 23, 2013

THE OWL AND THE LOVE BUG

It's too hot to work out in the garden this afternoon, so I decided it would be a good time to catch up on some quilt shop sample orders for my pincushion designs. I made these Oliver the Owl and Love Bug pincushions for one of the shops. Each is made of 100 percent hand-dyed wool. I enjoy combining different color combos for the owl. His little pocket of wool "pennies" can easily hold a pair of embroidery scissors or other notions. In a future post, I'll tell you more about the treadle sewing machine behind them.


Yesterday afternoon, I found this gray unfelted wool at a yard sale—nearly 2 yards worth! It will work great for making more pink-and-gray Love Bugs. Also found this vintage trivet for 75 cents. I do have a creative plan in mind for it. More on that later...


It turns out I'm not the only one in our household who loves wool. Our dear cat, Teddy, has always had a fondness for the stuff. I frequently find the wool pincushions from my upstairs sewing room in his basket of toys and scattered throughout the rooms on our main living area! 

3 comments:

  1. Cute pincushions! I found a bunch of wool at a sale once too. One of these days I need to cut a chunk off and felt it to see how it looks! The piece was about 5 yards for $3 and it is 100% wool...yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped at a garage sale last week and found a Fire King divided dish in pristine condition along with old time sugar cookie cutters (the kind with the red knobs), all for a grand total of one dollar! It was a good day. I always look for fabric/wool, but haven't been as lucky at finding those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Your pincushions are always so cute and clever. Was catching up on your blog - you are one busy lady! The garden is just lovely. By the way, your Birds of A Feather is my all time favorite.
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!