Sunday, May 5, 2013

QUILT SAMPLER MAGAZINE ARTICLES

Have you seen the latest issue of Quilt Sampler magazine yet? I was extra excited about this issue since I had the opportunity to write three profiles for it!


What a treat it was to interview Melanie Simpson, co-owner of Front Porch Quilt Shoppe in Ozark, Alabama. Nestled in an idyllic 1888 Victorian home, her shop is the epitome of Southern hospitality. One of the things that most impressed me is that she relies on a staff of kind-hearted volunteers rather than employees!


I also enjoyed interviewing Susan Shute, owner of The Quilting Quarters in Almonte, Ontario, an old textile mill town. Her shop building was once the town pharmacy and many of her customers can still remember enjoying a root beer float at its soda fountain. Today, however, it's fabric and shop samples that whet their creative appetites.


Through blogging, I've been able to meet so many talented quilters from Arizona, so it was a treat to find out more about one of their area shops, The Quilt Basket of Tucson. Owner Lena Tsuruda encourages quilters to think outside the box with unexpected fabric offerings such as douppioni silk, silk Matka, and linen solids and prints.


If you haven't already seen this inspiring issue, I hope you'll check it out to find out more about these three amazing shops plus many others! 

As the weekend comes to a close, I've been pondering what to do with my latest vintage finds from yesterday. I was planning to go to my first flea market of the season on Saturday but a rainy forecast put a damper on those plans, so the hubby and I decided to do some antiquing instead. Found a few more trims to add to my collection. The three packets of pink trim are vintage and the wooden spools of velvet ribbon in soft salmon and pewter gray are new, though they certainly have a vintage look to them.


Also spotted this set of antique dresser hardware that I couldn't resist. Each piece is only about 2 inches wide, so they are pretty small for hardware but I loved their patina and design. At first, I wasn't sure what I could do with them and then I asked myself when that has ever stopped me from buying something unique that I'll probably regret not buying if I don't?!! It so happens that once I got home I remembered a large old doll dresser that I bought in Walnut, Iowa, several years back. It needs new hardware and these would be perfect for it! So it turns out I made a wise decision after all! 

3 comments:

  1. Love your finds from this weekend ! We went to out first flea market of the season yesterday .. We found wooden Corticelli spools for a nickel!!! A beautiful embroidered table topper , antique marbles and Wooden dominos ! They will all be posted on my blog this week .
    I can't wait to get the Magazine ! Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great goodies you found! I find great quilt inspiration in old things! Looks like a good issue of that magazine...although they are all good issues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just brought the magazine home but am catching up on blogs rather than reading it! I have been to the shop in Ozark, AL and I loved it. I would gladly volunteer to work in a shop like that if only there was one in my local area!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!