Wednesday, May 29, 2013

CROCHETED CHARM


Over the holiday weekend, we visited my parents-in-law, and I was pleasantly surprised when my mom-in-law gave me her collection of vintage crocheted potholders! She has been collecting these little treasures for several years and found most of them at flea markets for just a dollar or two each. Aren’t they darling?


I especially got a kick out of the little pink and cream and aqua and cream vests! Just my colors!


Not to digress, but I found this saying on Pinterest about pink and think it is very true! I'm drawn to pink because it makes me feel happy, hopeful, and energetic. Just seeing this uplifting hue can change my mood! I pinned it to my Pinterest board dedicated to all things pink!


This little boy’s outfit was also sweet. As you can see from these photos, my mom-in-law had quite the collection of them. It’s fun receiving an instant collection like this! I feel very fortunate have such a generous mom-in-law. 


We were both curious to know what this particular potholder was used for. It has a little hanger that allows it to hang down like this. If you happen to know, please email me at the email button under my blog profile photo as we’d love to solve the mystery!

12 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so nice of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, my guess is something you could carry dinner rolls to the table in...just guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely collection Kimber. How kind of your MIL to give you her collection. If you find out what that last one is, you'll have to let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful! You know I love those, they remind me of all the pretty ones you let me borrow for our photo shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very adorable and like you pink makes me happy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that was very generous! Such fun - the little vests are just adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, please let us know,if you find out, what the "carrier" was used for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    You and your mom-in-law are truly kindred spirits! Love the collection. I'm with you on the pink thing - was just thinking the other day that if I could have only one color of antique fabric, it would be double-pink. If a single pink is good, you know a double one is better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am with you, pink all the way. Just going to check you out on Pinterest .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perhaps it was used to hold fresh fruit/veggies. A precursor to those wire baskets we hang in our kitchens/pantries. The openweave allows air to circulate and it is washable. I, too, love pink even though I do not wear it. I use lots of pink in my quilts, paintings, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I just love these! I have a small collection that I display in my laundry. Your collection is just fabulous! Love your blog.
    New follower,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my great-grandma B's kitchen, the little basket was the pomander holder - a lemon or orange spiked with whole cloves to hang in the pantry or cold storage cellar. If fruit wasn't available, then I remember that whole garlic bulbs where hung in the cellar in crocheted or woven baskets - not usually as nice as yours, though.
    What a wonderful collection and gift!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!