Sunday, April 14, 2013

SPOOLIN' AROUND

One of my favorite pastimes is finding new ways to incorporate vintage wooden spools into my designs. Inspired by my grandma's garden of old-fashioned bloomers, my lily of the valley scissor keeper and coneflower pincushion can be made with just a few scraps of wool. I'm not a huge fan of purple coneflowers, so I decided to make mine gold and burnt orange like one of my favorite varieties, 'Harvest Moon'.


This blooming duo is featured in the current issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine (Summer 2013) along with many charming designs by some of your favorite quilt designers. Be sure to check it out if you haven't already!


This month, I am selling one of my scissor keepers and coneflower pincushions on the TDIPT site (To Dwell in Primitive Times—a juried gathering of artisans with a passion for prim). This month will be our last update since TDIPT is closing its doors after a successful 6-year run. It has been a wonderful venue to share my creations the past five years and I am so grateful to the talented founders, Patty, Jan, and Susan, whose tireless dedication made TDIPT a site we could all be proud of. I found many kindred spirits among the other artists and friendships that will hopefully last a lifetime. I will continue to sell my wares as I can on this blog. 

For those of you who may be interested in making one of the lily of the valley scissor keepers, I’m also selling a small number of kits, which include the wooden spool (not necessarily vintage), wool, buttons, and black scissors pictured with them for $20 plus $6 shipping (thread not included). If you’d like to order one, just email me by clicking the “Email me” button under my blog profile. 

7 comments:

  1. These are both super cute! I can't wait to get the magazine - I will be watching my mail box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!! I absolutely love coneflowers and this pin cushion is perfect!! This will be on my To Do list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got my magazine and followed it to here. Awesome blog and I love,love, love this pincushion. Also love African Violets too... and cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ideas with the spools!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!