Thursday, April 4, 2013

MY PINKEEPS IN APQ MAGAZINE

One of my favorite ways to spend a day is working wool, glorious wool. Using hand-dyed wool from my friend Max, I designed and made these pinkeeps to celebrate my love of gardening and nature. With a little bit of embroidery and a few mini buttons, they sew up in a jiffy. Strips of pinked wool cut with my scalloped pinking shears add a fanciful flourish to their edges.


Want to make one of your own? You can find them in the current issue of American Patchwork and Quilting magazine! This trio is featured in their June 2013 issue on newsstands now.





All images used with permission from American Patchwork & Quilting® magazine. ©2013 Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Top photo by Heirlooms by Ashton House.

In other woolly news, I've been having fun filling my vintage post office box unit with wool. I don't yet have all the compartments full but they're quickly getting there. The compartments are extra deep, so I can fit two pieces of wool in each compartment.


Here's a shot of the vintage compartment in case you missed it in an earlier post from last month. I got it from my friend Linda, who was moving to Omaha at the time. It took two strong guys, including my hubby, to move it to Ashton House as it ended up being about 400 pounds. At first, I was going to put it in my sewing room but then I decided to put it in one of the parlors that rarely gets used and turn part of that space into a little sewing area since it is on the main level. That way, I won't have to go upstairs all the time when I want to sew. I'll keep my main sewing machine up there but use my small 1938 vintage Singer Featherweight that I use to piece my blocks downstairs.


Since I work with wool so often, I thought it would be handy to keep some of my stash close by so I can easily retrieve it when I need it. Hopefully it will keep me better organized! If you're like me, the busier you get in the sewing room, the messier things tend to get because the ideas and fingers start flying, but I guess that's part of the creative process. Saw a quote the other day on Pinterest (below) that captures that well!


9 comments:

  1. You have so many creative ideas. Glad you are featured! Those are darling - please come share them at "Open House".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!
    Your pin keeps are so sweet! The post office cubby hole piece is wonderful. What a perfect piece for your wools. Love it, love it, love it. What a wise idea to have a place to create on every floor of your home. Hey, you never know when a spark of creativity will ignite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your pincushions! Awesome new storage. Super cute and functional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that I found your blog at Bernideen's Open House. Your home is beautiful. I have never worked with wool, so I will have to read more about what you do. I must say that I am very impressed with you African violets. My grandmother always had beautiful violets, but alas, I have killed every single one given to me. I am your newest follower and anxious to read more. Please stop by Still Woods Farmhouse for a chat one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you can't see my sewing room at the moment - definitely NOT tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creative minds are rarely tidy is a sentiment I agree with as well. It may be an excuse in my case. Who has time to clean up all that stuff before racing to the next project? Love your little pincushions and I do think the pinked edges are adorable. And that mail box set up! Awesome! How lucky to have a perfect place for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pinkeeps! I saw them in the magazine last night and they inspired me to dig through my wool stash. :)

    I have to admit that I covet your post office cubbies. That unit is very, very nice! And at 400 pounds, it was probably built to last forever, hehe. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, I love your pinkeeps also, especially the pink and dark brown combination, and who doesn't love wool.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it. I have a mail case also but mine would have to be painted. It's grimy from years of use and rubs off on fabric. And, as you said, very heavy.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!