Tuesday, March 5, 2013

STEPPING BACK IN TIME

Last week, I went to Kansas City to attend a photo shoot for the quilt book that I am editing. On our way to the shoot location, we wound our way through the old Brookside neighborhood of stately homes.


Many of them, like this Tudor Alpine-style home, exuded storybook charm.


The snow-covered canopy of trees was like something out of a winter wonderland. Yes, Kansas City had more snow that we did here in Iowa but by the time we went down there, their roads were much better than ours as we had to travel right after a winter storm. It was worth the effort to go as I had a great time.


We decided to shoot the quilts at the historical John Wornall House, an 1858 Green Revival beauty. I traipsed through more than a foot of snow to snap this photo of it!


While I can't share actual photos of the quilts just yet for obvious reasons, I did want to take you inside this glorious dwelling for a quick peek. The elegant parlor was adorned with a beautiful piano (I think it might have been a Chickering). 


In contrast to the formality of the parlor, the kitchen was wonderfully rustic. We all oohed and ahhed over this charming dry sink. 


The kitchen table was covered with primitive kitchen wares like this antique butter mold. Being a fan of acorns, I had to take a picture of its impression. Isn't it lovely?


This had to be the most ornate pot-bellied stove I'd ever seen. We did find a way to incorporate it into one of the photos. To see how, you'll have to wait till the book comes out later this year!


Either a child's or doll's bed, this diminutive delight instantly captured our hearts. You can get a feel for its size by looking at the antique deacon's bench to its left.


We were delighted by the home's many wonderful props—including this antique sewing box. 


I love antique china dolls, and this sweet lady caught my eye.


Hope you enjoyed this glimpse into a most gracious house, and I hope it piqued your curiosity for the book! I will be sure to share more details about it as we get closer to the release date. If you haven't read my previous post, please stop by to read about a sweet kitty in need of a good home!

NOTE TO SPAMMERS: Comments are moderated before they're published

15 comments:

  1. I love seeing these stately old homes and so glad you shared them here on your blog! Good luck on that book project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky are to get to go into that lovely house. All of the houses are beautiful. That pot bellied stove is amazing. Thanks for showing us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed seeing these pics of these lovely houses!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely historic homes I enjoyed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for those wonderful photos - just magic. There was a glimpse of some wall paper there ,behind the sewing box,that would make a great patchwork fabric too?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, just loved the photos of the architecture. It is just as artful at our quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see the new book, but thanks for the peak at the Wornall home! I've been to KC several times, but never knew about the house. It is certainly a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, how nice! Thankyou for giving us a peek inside that beautiful house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is WOW. Wonderful pics and you paint such a great story to go along with the pics. Love, love, love your blog updates. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun trip - and beautiful homes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful house. Of course, I love the doll bed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Kimber, what a treat to see the inside of that old home! The doll bed is gorgeous and the pot-bellied stove looked almost "Grandfather clockish." I could move into any of those homes you showed, as I'm not particular! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the guided tour. Love the dolly bed and the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely houses--especially trimmed in the snow! Look forward to finding out about the mysterious book--and seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!