Tuesday, January 22, 2013

THE GIFT OF TIME

I've been taking a little break from blogging and Pinterest, etc. as I recuperate from minor surgery earlier this month. So what have I been doing in the meantime? Not much, sadly! But I did finish binding my Schnibbles quilt. I made a quilt in this same pattern for a friend in my quilt group when we had a summer gift exchange several years back and had always wanted to make one for myself. I had all the blocks finished and just needed to put them all together.


Music has always been a therapeutic influence for me, and so I've also been trying to play my violin as often as I can. I was so excited to get the sheet music for Edward Elgar's "Salut d'amour" (Love's Greeting), which I learned he composed as an engagement present for his wife. So romantic, don't you think?! Guess I must be getting in an amorous mood with Valentine's Day approaching! It is such a pretty tune. If you're interested, you can hear a lovely rendition of it by violin extraordinaire Sarah Chang by clicking the play button on the following YouTube link in the photo or clicking here.


My mom-in-law was kind enough to spend several days with me last week while I was recuperating. Now that she and Dad have moved just around the corner from us, I see a lot more of them. I can't begin to express how much it meant to have her here. I like to stay busy and when I have to slow down for a reason beyond my control, I tend to get anxious and antsy. My mom-in-law knew just how to cheer me up. She patiently listened as I worried aloud. She spoiled me with a bag of cute owl goodies, including this little solar-powered owl that moves his head back and forth. When she wasn't here, she called me every day to see how I was doing. My dad-in-law even came one day and he emailed me the neatest electronic owl calendar, which really lifted my spirits.


My mom-in-law also loaned me her Nook so I would have something to read while resting on the sofa. The first book I read on it was The Help, which prompted me to watch the movie version that my husband had gotten me several months ago. I had never used a tablet before, so she had to give me a little guidance. I know that might sound crazy but my husband and I don't like to be tethered to technology, so we don't have things like smartphones or a fancy flat screen TV (in fact, we still have the one we got as a wedding gift more than 15 years ago). But I must say that I've fallen in love with the Nook. On the second day my mom-in-law came to stay with me, she took me to Barnes and Noble and surprised me by buying me my very own Nook HD+!


My mom-in-law even got me a charming Nook cover with The New Yorker, one of my favorite mags. I couldn't believe they had a cover with The New Yorker on it. It was perfect.


While I'm old-fashioned at heart (nothing really can ever replace the look and feel of an actual book in my opinion), I must say I have formed a strong attachment to my Nook in a very short amount of time. It's so handy to take around the house and to appointments. But most of all, I treasure the time that my mom-in-law spent with me. Time really is the most precious gift. After all, I'd gladly relinquish all the gifts in the world for a day spent with a loved one! I'm so thankful that I have a mom-in-law who gives of her time so generously. My own mom and dad will be visiting me later this week. And before I know it, I'll be back at work! 

10 comments:

  1. Hope your are feeling better !! My iPad never leaves my side .. And I am a computer dummy ! Every time I see something " Owlish " when I'm shopping I think of you !

    Be well !
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimber, sorry I didn't know you had surgery. Not a very good friend, huh? I'm glad you are recovering well. I have a Kindle and love it, but still tend to buy books depending on what way is cheaper. Enjoy your Nook. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you continue to recover from your surgery and to get back into your regular routine. You have a wonderful support system that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you are recuperating well. Your MIL sounds like a real gem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your surgery - hope everything is ok. It's wonderful that your MIL has been so good to you - I'm sure you are so grateful that they live so near to you. Glad you got a Nook - I have a Kindle Fire and absolutely love it. I rarely buy books for it - there are so many free ones out there. Love your little quilt! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother-in-law (sadly passed now) was wonderful to me as well. She taught me so many things and was so kind and patient with me as well. I loved reading your words about your mom-in-law!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We hear all these mother-in-law horror stories, but rarely about a nice one. Sounds like you hit the MIL lottery! Hope you're back to normal soon. In the meantime, let her pamper you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimber,
    Wishing you a speedy recovery. You have a lovely mom-in-law! I agree with your views on both the real books and the electronic ones - each have their own advantages. Your little quilt is really sweet. Will you hand quilt or machine quilt it?
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are feeling better with each day. I'm torn between owning a favorite book in hardcover, or downloading it into my Kindle Fire... there's nothing wrong with treasuring both! Love your Schnibbles quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are feeling better. I have a Kindle, but still buy books from my favorite authors. Hope to see you soon, Diana

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!