Tuesday, January 1, 2013

GLAD QUILTING TIDINGS

Happy New Year's to you! With its many challenges, last year was a tough year for many of us and I hope that this year will bring better days for all. And here's some glad tidings for my fellow prim quilting lovers! The latest issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine will soon be arriving in your mailboxes if you subscribe. It was a treat editing the spring issue, which is bursting with fresh ideas for quilts, table mats, and much more. That's Cheryl Wall's quilt on our cover. This issue also features the first of two year-long projects—a captivating medallion-style quilt by Dawn Heese and a series of seasonal quilts by Laural Arestad—which will be published in each of our 2013 issues. I would like to take a moment to thank our team of dedicated pattern testers, who reviews each project for technical accuracy.


You'll also notice a fresh design within our pages as shown in this opening spread for a mini hexagon masterpiece designed by the talented design duo of Yellow Creek Quilt Designs. If you aren't a subscriber, be sure to check us out on newsstands this month!


After wrapping up the spring issue of the magazine last week, I made the last batch of my holiday goodies. My mom has been making this strawberry candy ever since I was a little girl. Several years ago, I got her recipe and started making it myself. 


This past Sunday, my husband and I enjoyed our last holiday gathering—a visit from my sister. She brought her dog, Tilly, and Mildred, the sweet elderly blue heeler that she is fostering until she can find her a permanent home. Thank goodness my sister found her when she did. Mildred was going to be euthanized the day that she visited the shelter where Mildred was staying. The shelter was able to locate Mildred's owner, who had her for 11 years but no longer wanted her after experiencing complications with her pregnancy. After meeting Mildred, my husband and I fell in love with her. She has a calm, gentle disposition, however she would be best placed in a home without cats (We have two!) as she likes them so much she rather bugs them. She does get along great with other dogs. It was very hard to capture a photo of her because she does not like photos! Mildred is still available for adoption, so if you know of anyone in the Twin Cities area who might be interested in giving her home, please contact me at the email button under my profile pic and I'd be glad to put you in touch with my sister.


I don't want Tilly to feel left out, so I must share a photo of her, too. My sister said that Tilly has been very lonely since the recent loss of her brother, Albert, a beautiful Bernese Mountain dog. Having a new temporary companion in Mildred has cheered her up.


Did you all have a happy holiday? I hope so. We spent the holidays with my family and then had our own little holiday celebration later that week. With doubts that Congress would avoid the fiscal cliff, dear hubby and I decided to keep things very simple this year for Christmas. So I was especially touched by this sweet gift that he gave me. It's a vintage owl illustration book! Perfect for the owl lover in me. 


He also surprised me with these fun accessories by Cath Kidston—just one of my many loves for all things English. I was so surprised that he remembered that I liked CK stuff. I think he normally checks out my Pinterest page wish list for gift ideas but this time, he went out on a limb. The little case in the center of the pic below contains owl magnets. The eyeglass case will come in handy for my new glasses, and who can't use a cheerful keychain? I will also put the handy owl scissor holder and floral tape measure to good use with my many sewing projects. 


He also gave me this cute Cath Kidston squirrel pincushion.


I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that 2013 brings much happiness, good health, and fulfilled dreams!

4 comments:

  1. Some very sweet and thoughtful gifts. We did simple this year too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I can't wait to see PQP - it never disappoints! I would like to hear more about your strawberry candy - I've never seen anything like it. Also love the puppy pics - too bad you can't keep Mildred, but I hope she finds a great home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the new year wishes! and peace and abundance to you! I also am interested in the Strawberry candies if you'd care to share the recipe. I'm looking forward to the PQ&P first issue this year - I need to start another project :)! Happy Stitching,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those strawberry candies also. Happy New Year to you and looking forward to 2013 blogs. LJ

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!