Monday, December 3, 2012

IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS

With December now upon us, I decided it was time to start trimming the tree but I wasn't quite ready to tackle our 9-foot-tall one after being down with a leg injury. So the tabletop trees will have to do for now. This is my wire tree, which is decorated with vintage glass ornaments year-round. I've had it for seven years and it's displayed in my pink and green dining room because it just seems to go in there!


I purchased a few ornaments each year until I had filled up the tree. The vintage topper was a gift from Carolyn H.


I wanted to take a moment to thank those of you who emailed me get-well wishes last week. I'm definitely on the mend, and things are looking up. It feels great to be able to walk again! My mother-in-law kindly offered to take me to my first physical therapy appointment last week. My dad-in-law accompanied her on the second session and together they brought me a couple bags of vintage pearl buttons (In the photo below, you can see Dad sifting through the buttons). Sorting buttons was a great way to get my mind off my pain. It was a far better pain reliever than the kind the doctor prescribed!


Over the weekend, I had a chance to catch up on my reading. I've had this Jane Austen sewing book for three years and enjoy revisiting it from time to time. It features craft projects and stories from her novels. If you like Jane Austen novels, here's an interesting sidenote—there is a link to a fun quiz you can take to see which of her heroines you're most like at the bottom of my blog. Turns out, I'm most like Elizabeth Bennet in Pride and Prejudice!


My friends at Schiffer Publishing produce some wonderful books on historical quilting, and this new title called Quilts in Everyday Life 1855-1955: A 100-Year Photographic History by Janet Finley is no exception.


If you love looking at old photos of people with their quilts like me, you won't be able to put this book down. There are some sad post-mortem photos of departed babies and others but death was such a way of life during those times that such photos were a very typical practice. 


Barbara Brackman's new book, Civil War Sampler, has also been on list of must-get books.


And last but not least, I finally got around to reading some of the recipes in the Momofuku Milk Bar cookbook by Christina Tosi that I bought this spring.


Last year, I had seen its pastry chef, Christina Tosi, on the Martha Stewart Show making these yummy-looking cookies with cereal milk—flavorful milk soaked in cornflakes. Since I love the flavor of cereal milk, I had to check it out. I'd love to make this birthday cake from the book.


By Saturday afternoon, I was coming down with a serious case of cabin fever, so my dear hubby helped arrange a brief escape to some of my favorite shops, including Domestica (a home accessories shop with lots of fun prints and locally handmade items) and Raccoon Forks Trading Co. (an antiques-lover's delight).



Hope you all had a good weekend! There is much to catch up on this week but things are off to a good start. I'm working on the remaining two of my three Quilt Sampler articles and just finished up an article on container gardening for Victoria magazine. Life is good.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are on the mend! Such sweet ornaments on your tree! And I took the Austen quiz.....I'm Anne Elliott.....of course! I love Persuasion....it's so good! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice you're feeling better. Nice post! Now I'm on the lookout for the Janet Finley book. I'm "Marianne Dashwood." I hope that's not a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to hear you are doing better - wonderful tree, I have never seen anything quite like it before. Love your books....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear you are on the mend and got out of the house. It always does the body good. Take care and as always let me know if I can help you in any way. Hugs Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of your injury - I hope it heals quickly! You've had some wonderful diversions and obviously a loving family to help out! Get better soon! Now... I think I'll take that quiz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for stopping by so I could find your blog. Delightful post! Love, love, love your wire tree with all your beautiful vintage ornaments. Trust you continue to heal well. My daughter broke her femur two years ago, and the healing process was quite a journey. Thankfully all is well now.
    I'm happy to be a new follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!