Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS

Well, it looks like we're going to get our white Christmas after all! The first blizzard of the season arrived last night, leaving several thousand people in the nearby Des Moines area without power. The tree branches were so laden with the thick, wet snow, that we could hear several break off last night as we sat in our parlor! Luckily, our power held on here and that was a good thing since the Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine that I edit was due to the printer this morning! With the storm, I was worried that I might not have computer access to work on them. Turns out everything went fine, and I even got to drop by my friend's house for lunch. It's only seven blocks away, so not even a snowstorm could thwart those plans. Here's a photo of the winter wonderland just outside our 1885 yellow-brick Victorian. Actually, this is a photo from an earlier snowstorm this year but it looks practically the same today!


The weather was so bad that even my husband stayed home and is working from here today. Early this morning, he got a chance to try out the new snowblower his dad got him last year. For several years, he resisted getting one even though our driveway is 110-feet long! Don't the trees look pretty sprinkled with snow? If only it weren't so damaging to them. Our house is surrounded by century-old maples, oaks, and ashes (the latter are succumbing to the emerald ash borer). If only they could talk, I'm sure they'd have tales to tell of 19th-century life at Ashton House. 


Since I've wrapped up the magazine for now—until the printer proofs are ready—I think I'll make a batch of peanut clusters this afternoon. For years, I searched for a peanut cluster that wasn't so hard it nearly broke my teeth. Ten years ago, a family friend brought a batch of them over for a holiday gift and they were the creamiest, softest ones I'd ever eaten, so I asked for her recipe and have been making them for the holidays ever since. This is the perfect weather for snuggling up with a good book and a cup of tea. Tonight, I think I'll do just that if I get the rest of my to-do list done. I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of a book I recently ordered. It's called Cranford, an 1851 English classic by Elizabeth Gaskell. Many of you might remember the BBC's series from 2008. You can find this pretty Penguin classics edition on Amazon.


Just a reminder—if you entered my Love Bug pincushion giveaway, be sure to stop back by tomorrow when the winner is announced. Until then, stay safe and warm! 

10 comments:

  1. Your home looks so pretty in the snow. We are having some too, but is to be 60 over weekend, so will be gone. i love it. I know it is hard on travelers and last minute shoppers. sorry. I am going to snuggle with Sissy Dog and watch the White House Christmas decoration special tonight. Merry Christmas. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house looks beautiful in the snow! It would be beautiful on the front of a Christmas card! Wishing you a Happy Christmas and a joyous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm happy that we Iowans are all having a white Christmas! Our yard looks so pretty - and it's easy for me to be excited about it since I can stay in where it's warm and look out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the others have said, your house looks beautiful in the snow. Living in Australia we, of course, are in summer. Although last Christmas Day there was a huge hail storm and some places looked like snow! Have a very Merry Christmas Kimber. Hugs, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos of your snow-covered home would be a wonderful Christmas card! Would you give us the recipe for the peanut clusters? Have a lovely Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house looks so lovely! Feel free to send any of the white stuff our way! It would be great if you would share the peanut brittle recipe someday, too!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I am jealous. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas. Here in southern Kansas we got a dust of snow Thursday, but it is all gone now. Any chance of sharing the peanut cluster recipe? I am a sucker for softer candies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your white Xmas - am very envious! your house suits it perfectly :)
    Every Stitch

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous photos, but I don't know how I would survive in that cold! Still, you probably can't imagine the extreme heat that we are presently living with - and it doesn't make for pretty photos either, lol!
    Have a wonderful Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!