Sunday, December 9, 2012

DECKING THE HALLS

It's beginning to look a little more like Christmas around Ashton House. We put all the electric candles in the windows, even the attic. It is very hard to get a decent picture of them since it has to be in the dark, so this is the best I could do. We usually put our large artificial Christmas tree in the big bay window but I just don't think I'm up to it this year.


Several years ago while visiting an historical house decked out for the holidays, I took a photo of this great holiday decorating idea. Now isn't that festive?! The Victorians certainly had a flair for decorating.


That very year, I experimented with that idea in my much humbler dining room, using pink and green ornaments and a pretty pink ribbon from the local Victorian gift shoppe. I'm thinking I should try it again this year now that I actually have some pretty window treatments for all the windows, thanks to my mom and mom-in-law, who helped me make them three years ago.


I also like to deck the halls with some velvet strawberry pincushions that I make. These were for an order I was working on last night. The penny rug underneath them was made several years ago of wool felt before I got into the 100 percent wool. 


Funny story about my sewing projects! My cat Poe, below, gets jealous whenever he sees me sewing for some reason—it's only when I'm sewing. On one occasion, he came over and knocked over my jar of seed beads so they all scattered on the floor. Another time, he took off running with my Perle cotton. When I finally got it back, he gave me this look of disdain as though I'd done something wrong! I'm not sure why he finds sewing so threatening but he does. I guess he's my crazy cat!


This photo of Poe reminds me of number 5 on this funny cat email that my mom sent me earlier this fall. You might remember it from an earlier post but I thought I'd repost it as it might bring a smile to your face this lovely Sunday afternoon. Have a good one!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture of your home! Enjoy your decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house looks marvellous and I do love that dining table idea with the ribbons from the ceiling!
    The strawberry pincushions are simply delightful - love the use of velvet there.
    Every Stitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house looks beautiful with those lights in the window. And for the ribbons over the dining room table, I've always admired that look but do not have a chandelier to drape them from. Thanks for sharing. Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chandelier decoration. Your home looks beautiful in "candlelight." Silly cat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poe just wants to play too while you are playing with stitching. He's a pretty cat.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!