Friday, December 7, 2012

COMPUTER WOES

I have a love/hate relationship with my iMac computer. Sometimes I think it's the best and other days, I want to toss it to the curb. Yesterday was one such day for the latter. I was working on an article when all of a sudden the power went out. When it came back on, I went to Time Machine, which Apple touts as a reliable back-up for your info. When I went there, it was no where to be found! Luckily, I only lost about a paragraph of info, but I was a little disappointed that Time Machine isn't all it's cracked up to be. We had a hard-drive issue with my iMac a few months after we purchased it three years ago and Apple eventually had to give me a whole new machine because they weren't able to solve the problem.



All of this has made me really question whether I should get an iPad, which my husband wants to get me for Christmas (I would still keep a desktop computer for work purposes, of course. This would just be for on the go).  Do any of you have an iPad and if so, what do you like or not like about it? Does it really do more than other tablets on the market? I'd heard that the new Microsoft Surface tablet does almost as much for less than half the price, which I must admit is compelling. It does seem like Apple charges a premium for its products.

In happier news, I've been making good progress on the annual fall tradition of organizing my sewing room and closets. I found 20 more yards of fabric to donate to my grandma's Project Linus quilts. In addition, we took five large boxes of stuff we no longer need to Goodwill the other day and a box of books to the local library. While going through my many sewing boxes, I found this bag of clear buttons that I won't be able to use (I love the pearl buttons and use those and the vintage plastic ones for most of my projects). If anyone in the Des Moines area wants them, you can have them for free if you can meet me at the local quilt shop to pick them up. BUTTONS HAVE BEEN SPOKEN FOR, THANKS!


Before I close, I have to share this adorable owl humidifier that the hubby surprised me with last night. He knows I love owls, and as our house gets so dry in the winter, it was actually a very practical gift. It's set up in my office where I can get the most benefit from it. The water vapor is released through the top of his head. 


He also surprised me with this lovely little plant advertised as a "frosty fern". At first, I thought its white coloring was fake (like when they dye poinsettias blue!), but then I realized it was variegated. Houseplants are always welcome here as they not only beautify the surroundings but they're good for your health, too! While researching a houseplant article several years ago, I discovered that plants remove up to 87 percent of toxins found in everyday household objects from the air. As part of the photosynthesis process, they release moisture, which increases humidity—a welcome thing during dry Midwestern winters! To help purify the air, experts recommend you use 15-18 plants in 6- to 8-inch diameter pots for an 1,800 square foot house. That's basically one plant every 100 square feet. I guess I have that more than covered with my 50 African violets, rex begonias, and moth orchids!

6 comments:

  1. last christmas my computer was attacked by a vicious virus that ruined everything i had on it. fortunately most of the photos i had on it were also backup on webshots so i didn't lose much there. except a couple of years of vacation photos. oh well--it could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy my iPad, and chose it over less expensive ones because I like Apple's iOS. But, how anyone could consider one of these a desktop replacement is beyond me. I'd still much rather use my desktop or laptop... but I hear women all the time saying they never use anything but their iPads anymore.

    Sorry about your iMac. BOTH of ours died within a month of each other at 3 years of age... I too was expecting a bit longer lifespan out of them, I've never worn out a Windows computer yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about the computer woes. I have a PC and have had good luck with that. I love the little fern your husband gave you.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my iPad, but it doesn't replace my laptop (MacBook). I use my iPad mostly for reading - blogs, news, email, and books. I use the Kindle app on my iPad for reading books; it's just too convenient to choose a book, download it and immediately start reading. I have written some blog entries from the iPad, but I don't really enjoy the typing interface. My DH bought an iPad keypad, but I haven't tried it yet. The thing I appreciate the most about the iPad is its portability; it's so easy to slip it in a tote bag or over-sized purse and take the internet with me anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had Macs for several years and I hated them. I will take my Dell laptop over that any day. My husband has a tablet, and I have a Kindle (and love it). So many electronics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE my I PAD, I received it for Christmas last year and use it everyday. I love how easy it is to carry anyplace and well I use it mostly to read blogs/ look at antique quilts and being able to see the red and white exhibit anytime I want is amazing! During Hurricane Sandy it was our only way to communicate with the outside world to get news.
    I don't normally have the wifi on I use it from our home
    but signed up immediately I was able to get the news channels , newspapers, etc. The greatest thing ever. I have stopped at the apple store many times with it to ask how can I do this with it
    and they show me right away. I love the support system thru apple and like you said if they can't fix it you get a new computer. I have an IMAC and I have macbook pro, I am SOLD on apple products and the customer service is incredible in mho.
    I am hoping to get the smaller I Pad so it can slide in my purse :)
    the one thing I wish it did have was a cd drive so I could watch movies on it!
    LOL email if you have any other questions, ok?
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!