Monday, December 24, 2012

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!

On this Christmas eve, I wanted to wish all of you the happiest of holidays from all of us at Ashton House, our 1885 Victorian farmhouse.


What a wonderful holiday season this has been. This past weekend we celebrated Christmas with my husband's parents in their new home. One of my gifts to them was the brand new American Patchwork and Quilting 2013 calendar with my little "Je t'aime" quilt in it. I quilted it on my machine using an historical design from one of my antique Le Moyne star quilts.


I enjoyed wrapping all the gifts in some fun pink holiday gift wrap that I bought last year. I even hand-made several gifts this year—something I've been wanting to do for awhile! Unfortunately, I can't share what I made the parents-in-law here as I still have a couple other packages with a similar theme to deliver.


After we unwrapped the gifts, the parents treated us to a wonderful meal at the local Waterfront Seafood Restaurant. My husband enjoyed the oyster po'boy sandwich and sweet potato fries (shown below), while I feasted on halibut—my favorite fish. Yum!


Among the season's most special memories is receiving this lovely homemade gift from my grandma. Aren't handmade gifts the best? I always feel extremely blessed and honored when someone takes the time to make me something with their own hands. I love how Grandma appliquéd an old doily to the center of the table topper, which is quite large at 24" in diameter. When she was here for Thanksgiving, she told me she planned to make several of these but I didn't know how she would find the time with all her other sewing projects.


Many years ago, she made me this smaller version, which is the perfect size for a tabletop tree.


Grandma is 93 years young but you wouldn't know it by her energy level. She runs circles around all of us. If you have her out for a visit, you'd better plan to have a lengthy list of things for her to do for she cannot sit still. Every morning she wakes up at 4:00 a.m. and at 6:00 a.m. starts sewing quilts for Project Linus until 5:00 p.m. This year she made more than 300 quilts!  She is an inspiration to me, and I can only hope and pray that God will grant me the same ability to help others through my humble skills.


As I noted in my previous post, we have been granted our wish for a white Christmas. Although the blizzard kept us housebound for a day, it didn't dampen our spirits. We enjoyed a cozy evening by the fire, indulging in homemade egg casserole. I thought it was the perfect night to make some comfort food!


My husband ate every last morsel on his plate!


The bad weather also gave me the perfect excuse to make more peanut clusters. For those of you who asked for the recipe, I will email them after our holiday celebrations as we're getting ready to head for home to spend Christmas with our family. Just have to wrap a few more gifts and make one more batch of peanut clusters. After I get back, I'll be taking a little break from blogging to catch up on my pincushion orders and spend some time with family. 
Happy Holidays to you all from Ashton House!



12 comments:

  1. If you're going to give the recipe for peanut clusters - you can include the recipe for that egg casserole which looks yummy!

    Blessed Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely love that pink wrapping paper! Too pretty to open! Your Grandma sounds like a treasure, love that she is so giving to others. She's building treasures in heaven. Have a blessed Christmas and enjoy your family time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas! Love the gift from your Grandma and the pic - it is wonderful that she is so active and spry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Victorian Christmas card! Have a very Merry Christmas! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're having a lovely Christmas with family. Would love to have your peanut cluster recipe. They have been a fav candy of mine for years. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you and yours at your beautiful home, Kimber. The fish and the egg casserole both look wonderful. And your wrapped presents are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Kimber, and congratulations on the quilt getting into the calendar.
    Ask you mil for the secret of energy and spirit maybe she should bottle it and share it with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas Kimber. What an amazing woman your grandmother must be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kimber, it sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas as well now taking time for yourself. I love hearing about your grandmother, what an inspiration to all of us. Enjoy the rest of your week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry Christmas!
    I currently stranded in Columbus in the blizzard on my way from NJ to Illinois -
    I adored your pink wrapping paper.
    congrats on the calendar, wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I, too, love the pink wrapping paper, very striking!! I love Grandmother's and your's sounds pretty special..what a go-getter she is!!! Hope you had the best of Holidays..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad I saw the pictures of the tree skirts. I wanted one for a tabletop tree this past Christmas and couldn't find a pattern or style I liked. Now I have seen one and will make one for this coming 2013 Christmas.

    Beautiful pictures!!
    Cassandra
    http://clmt-an-edwardian-victorian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!