Tuesday, November 6, 2012

VOTES FOR WOMEN

As Election Day arrives, I am reminded of the many tireless women who fought so hard for our right to vote. With them in mind as much as the challenges that our country is facing, I stopped by my local Elections office to vote yesterday. I thought it would be faster than voting today but wow, was I wrong! The line stretched outdoors, but I wasn't going to let that deter me. I was so pleased to see many young women like myself exercising their right to vote. In honor of Election Day, I thought it would be fitting to share this 1889 photo of the Iowa Woman Suffrage Association convention, which took place in my hometown! In the center of the first row is Carrie Chapman Catt, who served as president of the National American Woman Suffrage Association after Susan B. Anthony retired from the position in 1900.


Like many families, my relatives don't always agree when it comes to politics, but we try our best to respect each other's differences. My fondest wish is that those less fortunate will someday get to reap all the advantages that I have been so fortunate to enjoy in my lifetime. My grandma always taught me that when we have been blessed—whether it be through our talents, good fortune, or good health—we are honor-bound to pay it forward to others in need. As I always say, the good you do for others will come back to you!

3 comments:

  1. I so agree with your last statement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimber, you have such a great way with words, all I can say is Thank you for being you and the big thank you for being a great friend. HUGS Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kimber, Thanks for sharing a little about the history of women's suffrage. Neat photo. Your grandmother sounds like a very wise women. You are blessed to have a grandmother like that. Gina

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!