Wednesday, October 10, 2012

TREASURE HUNTING IN THE TWIN CITIES

Late last week, my husband and I headed up to Minneapolis for a long weekend. On our way there, we always stop by one of my favorite quilt shops—Eagle Creek Quilt Shop in Shakopee. I've been shopping there for the past 10 years, and I've often wished I lived a lot closer so I could visit the shop more often. I think if I lived in the Twin Cities I would have to apply for a job there! I remember the first time I visited the shop I immediately felt at home among the many 1800s reproduction fabrics and the building's vintage charm. There was even a friendly cat named Martha to greet us.


The shop is located in a marvelous old railroad depot. In fact, a train passed by as we were shopping!


Owners Lori and Becky have done a beautiful job creating a welcoming atmosphere for fabric lovers. With its high ceilings and nostalgic character, the depot sets a charming stage for displaying the many gorgeous quilt samples. I can also assure you that the staff is very friendly and eager to help its customers. I was searching for a particular fabric in one of their shop samples and this sweet lady helped me find it!


While they stock a terrific array of 1800s repros, they also cater to more modern tastes with a hearty helping of batiks, Riley Blake designs, and many others. I believe this quilt and dress are made up in Joel Dewberry fabrics but DON'T quote me! I'm basing this on memory and not fact.


They also carry one of the larger selections of oilcloth that I've seen.


But my favorite place to explore is their wool stash in their back room lined in old brick walls. They truly have a rainbow of colors so it's easy to find the right one for a particular project.


And speaking of wool, don't you love the combination of wools they chose for their shop sample of my Oliver the Owl pincushion pattern? I think Lori might have made this one. She certainly did a great job. Now why didn't I think of those color combos?! I'm so tickled that they are carrying my pattern.


After getting my daily dose of fabric, we headed over to an antiques fair in the Twin Cities, where we spotted some really intriguing items like these handcarved molds used to embellish architectural elements. If I thought I was talented enough to actually figure out how to use them, I might have bought one! Our old Victorian could certainly use some embellishment.


I was really tempted by this antique green pie safe, and we even brought the truck to haul things in. I loved the patina of it. How well-loved it must have been. The tin inserts were in great shape. 


I seem to have a thing for antique paper dispensers because this one caught my eye. I didn't buy it but I thought it was neat that it even had the paper.


Don't you love the classic look of vintage French linens? These reminded of the French General fabrics. 


As a wool lover, I was especially enchanted by this antique penny table runner. What a great way to decorate a tabletop.


Other antiquing ventures took us to everything from little shops to charming old barns.  


I spotted some cool vintage Halloween buckets but didn't buy these either. I have enough Halloween decorations to last a lifetime! Feather trees are about the only things I can't pass up.


In addition to antiques, the barn also had some freshly-made cloth dolls like this one with her sheep.


We even managed to catch a few area tag sales, including one that was selling fabric for $3 a yard! It turns out the gal running it owned St. Croix County Drygoods, a wonderful quilt shop in Hudson that closed its doors a year ago. I can remember going there and being awestruck by the number of fabric bolts. Edie also carried antiques and wonderful old sewing notions. She was liquidating the rest of her stock. While I was at the sale, I picked up a few reproduction pinks, including this old favorite from Margo Krager's Dargate Divinity (far right).


And being a wool lover, I couldn't resist these bolts of 100 percent wool yardage on sale for $10 a yard. One is the perfect pale green shade for my Oliver the Owl pincushion, so now I'll be able to make more kits of it! The one in the middle is a lovely cream/gray check, and the one on the right is a rich mustard brown that will be great for primitive-style projects. How can you go wrong at $10 a yard for wool? And Edie even gave me extra on each of the bolts.


At another sale, I spotted this black feather Halloween tree—not the traditional goose feathers but fluffier, chenille-like ones. For $12, I wasn't going to argue with the price. It's a 36-tall tree, so that was a steal. 


As you can see, I saw a mix of old and new things. I had been looking for a very small bench to fit in a niche and spotted this cheap one covered in a delightful lime-colored toile, so it went home with me. I also found two vintage quilts, a small vintage springerle rolling pin, two vintage wooden cigar boxes with wonderful graphics, a vintage doll bed, and a few other items in addition to more fabric than I care to admit! 


I posted this quickly on the heels of my previous post on the Des Moines AQS show, so if you didn't catch that one, you might want to check it out while you're visiting me.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful quilt shop ! Just look at all of your great purchases , I really love the pink fabrics you bought. Good Deals !

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, I am so jealous of all the great antiquing you get to do. And what a steal on those bolts of fabric and wool! Would love to visit the ECQS! Your owl pincushion is probably a big seller for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what a great trip! I don't know how you left some of those treasures behind, but it looks like some great things also found their way home with you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful shopping. And what a barn! You got some really good fabric deals, hoorah! But you didn't get that great pie safe? It was pretty cuuuuuuute lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow is right, what a great trip, love the wools and the antique paper holders, so much of what you like, I love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always Kimber I enjoy ready about your adventures and your new finds/purchases. It looks like you had a great weekend. Well deserved break from work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Eagle Creek Quilt Shop. I have only been there once, but fell in love! What an amazing antique display! I especially love the lime green furniture as it reminds me of my mother. She went thru a phase in the 70's where she painted everything that exact color! Looks like a great trip!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!