Friday, October 19, 2012

MY NEWEST VINTAGE DOLL BED

I'm taking a little break from my Halloween posts to share my most recent vintage doll bed find. I found this little treasure for $34 during my recent trip to the Twin Cities. It was a little more than I wanted to spend but I couldn't resist it with its delightful small posts and charming headboard.


Of all my vintage doll beds, this is the smallest at just 14" long x 10" tall. When I first tried take a pic of it, the brown all blended together so I threw a piece of fabric on it to give you a better idea of its dimensions. It's in front of my kitchen cabinets, so hopefully that gives you an idea of its scale.


I don't even have a quilt small enough for it, so I guess I'm going to have to make one. I would love to hear any suggestions for color schemes that you might have. I am always drawn to brown and pink, so my current collection of quilts leans quite heavily toward that color scheme, but I was thinking of trying something new for this little bed. I'd also be curious to hear from anyone else who has a bed like this. Sadly, it didn't come with any information on its history.

Okay, before I close I can't resist a little Halloween sidenote to show you this sweet Halloween owl fabric that I purchased from Adel Quilting and Drygoods. Anyone who knows me well can attest that I'm a bit little owl obsessed. Always have been ever since I was a little girl growing up in a state park where a nocturnal symphony of owls often serenaded me to sleep. I was listening to a most intriguing program about them the other day on Iowa Public Radio. The host was talking to wildlife biologist Jim Pease about the owls of Iowa, including the barred owl, great horned owl, and tiny screech owl. It was quite entertaining, too, as he replicated some great owl calls. If you're interested, you can listen to the entire program here.


Even my parents-in-law feed my owl obsession. My mom-in-law gave me this sparkly owl ring along with a cute owl hand towel the other day when they visited. Before I removed it from its tag, I had to try it on.

9 comments:

  1. I L.O.V.E. your little dolly bed!! I think a classic blue and white quilt would be lovely. Or red and white, since it's getting close to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great little doll bed, I can see why you couldn't pass it up! Cute owls too - I think of you every time I see owls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find ! I once had a small doll bed when my daughter was young this reminds me of it . For the quilt , did you ever see the Little Princess with Shirley Temple ? There is a quilt on her bed , I've always adored it and wanted to replicate it . Kind of looks like a log cabin quilt but it differs . A square in the middle then the borders all around it . Sorry if the details are too vague ! As for owls , live them too ! I just got an awesome Halloween bowl with an owl and lace graphics on it from Homegoods for Halloween this year .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I was going through your post obviously loving the scrolly bed and the fabric, but I LOVE the owl pin!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet little dolly bed. I think a little Sunbonnet Sue quilt would be perfect! Loved the pictures of your home all lit up, I bet at Christmas it is outstanding... Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I can say you certainly got a bargain on that bed! It's worth at least a couple hundred dollars. Seller didn't know what they had. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. owls are the new hot thing - love the fabric and the ring!!
    I have total doll bed ENVY!!
    It is just wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see what little quilt you make for your new doll bed - it will be so fun to dress it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new doll bed. You find the best stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!