Monday, October 29, 2012

HARVEST GREETINGS

My hubby and I just returned from our second trip to the Twin Cities this month. While we were there, we couldn't resist stopping by a few antique shops. One of our usual stops was this cozy shop decked out in autumn splendor. I've been wanting to make a decorative banner like this one for my mantel.


This particular shop is located in a gracious vintage home. Isn't it pretty?


It has the neatest decorative iron railings on the windows.


The inventory is a mix of old and new as well as some handcrafted items. Burlap certainly seems to be a big trend these days, and that's what the pumpkins on this daybed were made of. 


Here's another angle of the festive fall room.


Covered in a burlap tablecloth, this accent table hosted pumpkins and candles on pedestals.


Here is the view looking down from the spiral staircase. What a cozy scene!


While we were away, we stopped by to visit my sister. She had recently lost her beautiful dog, Albert, who was only 6, to cancer. He was a gentle giant who touched a lot of lives during his 6 short years. His loss has left a hole in all our hearts. I didn't realize that Bernese Mountain dogs have a much higher rate of fatal cancer than other breeds and nearly half die from it. I have thought about getting one but don't think my heart could brook losing a furry friend so soon.


We enjoyed seeing my sister's other dog, Tillie.


We took her to the local dog park for a 3-mile walk, where we encountered several other furry friends...


The dog park was located in a wonderful wooded area, where the dogs had plenty of room to roam. It was supposed to be a very chilly afternoon but it ended up being fairly mild and sunny, so there were lots of other pet owners out on the trail as well as shown below. 


By the time we returned to my sister's house, we saw that her cat Mochi was still napping in his usual spot.


Eventually, he woke up to say hello.


Before I close, I have to show you my sister's beautiful old upright piano that has accompanied her over the years from Portland to Berkeley to her days at Smith College in Massachusetts. A lot of people just tear these old beauties down but I'm glad my sister could see its value. 


I'll be back later this week with more scenes from my trip. In the meantime, have a terrific week. My thoughts are with all you fellow bloggers in Sandy's path. I hope you all stay safe. 

4 comments:

  1. Lovely vignettes - all - but your sister's upright piano brought back some fun memories! My mom found an old upright piano and shabby chic'd it (the technique was called "antiquing" then ); my sisters and I all learned to play piano on that old upright...don't know what happened to the grande dame, though. I think she was traded in for a spinet, but I was long gone from home by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your family's loss, Albert was indeed a beautiful dog. Awww...Tillie looks so sad. My heart goes out to you all.
    The antique shop looks like a fun one in that beautiful old house and all. Thanks for sharing.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely shop, so much inspiration inside and outside as well. Glad you were able to spend time with your sister and her furry family, but so sorry about the loss of Albert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Six years is too soon, so sorry for their loss. He looked like a real sweetheart too. The antique shop looked great. Did you buy anything?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!