Sunday, October 21, 2012

A LOVELY DAY OF LITTLE QUILTS

In my previous post, I was pondering what kind of quilt to make for my newest vintage doll bed that I found on an recent antiquing trip. Well, I found a bunch of inspiration at my latest local Prairie Women's Sewing Circle (by Pam Buda), where we were treated to a wonderful show of little quilts compliments of two talented ladies—Dorothy and Joan from a nearby town. Jacque, the owner of the local quilt shop and the group's facilitator, provides the added bonus of a guest speaker at each of the meetings. Joan talked to us about string-pieced quilts and shared several examples during her chat.


Dorothy and Joan are longtime quilters with a passion for miniature quilts. Joan has also taught quilting classes. In fact, she mentioned that one of her first students was a young Marianne Fons before she started quilting! This was the first pieced miniature quilt that Joan made.


She also made this darling miniature yoyo quilt. 


And here is Dorothy's miniature yoyo quilt. 


She made the little roses in this appliquéd quilt with yoyos, too.


Dorothy also made this wonderful poinsettia quilt with beautiful Japanese-style prints.


Her miniature crazy quilt won a blue ribbon at the state fair.


It was also a treat to see this lovely antique quilt made and designed by Dorothy's great grandmother, who died in 1886. Dorothy told us that the plant featured in the quilt was inspired by one that her great grandmother found when she ventured out into the woods. It only grows in the southeastern part of Iowa.


Since this time's Prairie Women's Sewing Circle focused on women's undergarments of the pioneer period, some of the members brought some vintage examples to share with us. One of our members, Diane, has a treasure trove of antique quilts as well as other lovely things. I couldn't believe what she brought for us this time. It was a 19th-century ladies hoop that was worn under their skirts!


Diane also shared this wonderful treasure from her trunk of treasures—a 1906 schoolgirl's sewing book filled with sewing samples and lessons, which were then graded by her teacher.


Now wouldn't you just love to see what other treasures are in her trunk?! We are so fortunate to have so many members who bring in their lovelies to share with us. I hope to share more of their treasures in future posts but I think this is enough for one day! 

10 comments:

  1. The little quilts are so precious, I love the 4 patch and yo yo the best. I'm betting on the 4 patch! If I win, I would like a sign copy of the Christmas Victoria issue!! Have a great week....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That mini yo-yo quilt is adorable! And I love that crazy quilt for sure! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be so wonderful to have those old treasures that's for sure. Gorgeous quilts there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspiration for you; now I can't wait to see what you come up with for your new doll bed (hmm)! Have a wonderful week. hugs, Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing group, and so many lovely things to see. The quilts are all so beautiful, and how interesting to see that girls sewing journal. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful and what talented ladies, that's a super sewing group. I am also loving the large string pieced quilt in the background. I would love a pattern for that style of quilt if anyone can point me in the right direction? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun group! So many treasures shared between friends - the talent that surrounds us never ceases to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm thinking I might have to sign up for The Prairie Women's Sewing Circle at my LQS too - sounds like you had an inspiring meeting and I can't wait to see what pattern you decide to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh what a wonderful meeting this was, I love that they really show quilts and shared history of the times.
    beautiful quilts, wow, you know I love little quilts!
    thanks for sharing and oh love that hoop skirt, can't even imagine wearing that today.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!