Sunday, September 2, 2012

DISPLACED BY A CAT

It's a lazy afternoon here at Ashton House. I spent part of the afternoon watching one of my favorite movies, Bridget Jones's Diary, then decided to make some progress on my pincushion orders. So I found a quiet corner of the house on the chaise in my bedroom and starting stitching more birdie pincushions.


I went to get a glass of water and when I got back, I saw this on my chaise! My cat Poe had nestled in between the cushion and the back of the chaise. He has his own cat bed and many comfy fleece blankets around the house and yet he chooses to squeeze into a spot where he does not belong. It's not the first time he's done it. I did not have the heart to remove him, so I had to find another spot to sit and stitch!


Do any of you other cat lovers ever feel like your furry friends rule the roost? Our cats have a tendency to take over our bed at night and we'll wake up and find ourselves in these contorted positions because they've managed to push us out of the way. They're more comfortable than we are! I think this cute illustration by one of my favorite artists, Sara Pulver, captures it well. I have several of her prints, which I've framed and placed around the house. Her work is available on etsy here.

12 comments:

  1. He was just waiting for you to pick a nice, comfy spot, with maybe a little added warmth to it already. Cats are not as lazy as we think, they are patient!! Maybe he likes being near you & hearing your heartbeat (like kittens did when they were fed by their moms).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always displaced by one or more of the four cats :) They just take over everything. Very funny print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about cats, but our little Dachshund will jump in my seat when I get up and the last two night he has found his way into our bed and I haven't heard him. Surprise! We do love our four legged family members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pincushion. Yes, cats seem to think they own the place!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and funny. I love the color of your chase. I'm glad you took some time to sew. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just like it is in my home. Like this quote: Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause most inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, in Holland we have a saying that "A dog has a boss and a cat has staff". My cats are not allowed in the bedroom and we are taking precautions to keep them out of our bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our cats definitely rule the roost. Almost every time I get up from my chair at my sewing machine, one of the cats jumps in it. And your Sara Pulver print is basically what our bed looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pincushion is so pretty! You're nicer to your cat than I am - I won't let Tabitha on our furniture (of course she still has her claws, so that's a big part of it).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling pin cushion... and I bought that pin and pillow book ..It's fabulous... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling pincushion! You do nice work! So funny how polite we are to our pets. I have done the same. Hope they appreciate us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kimber, I just found your blog and love your pincushions! With regard to the cat, I have to agree with many of the other post - we exist only to serve our feline masters. They sit in your spot to remind you who is the boss. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!