Sunday, August 12, 2012

QUILTS FOR A GOOD CAUSE

I recently visited my grandma, who has been recuperating from major shoulder surgery over the past several months. I have long admired her strong work ethic and positive outlook on life, which I think have contributed to her longevity. I have the former quality but not so much of the latter as I tend to be realist! Along with one of her daughters, Grandma sews quilts for Project Linus, a national organization that makes quilts and blankets for critically ill children. Aunt Karen drops off donated fabric for her and then Grandma ships the finished quilts back to her. When we visited Grandma, we noticed that she had made 80 more quilts—some of which are pictured here—that were about ready to ship out. I'm so proud of her!


Despite her age, Grandma still lives on the family farm, where she enjoys cooking, gardening, baking, sewing, and growing African violets. I have fond memories of learning how to make sock monkeys with her. Many years ago, she made me my first sock monkey (pictured here)! Ever since, I have had a soft spot for these stuffed simians! 


Ever the kind soul, Grandma sent us back with some homegrown zucchini from her garden, homemade banana bread and cookies, and old wool coats from the local Christian thrift store where she used to volunteer for many years. She always saves old wool clothing for me for my many wool projects.

12 comments:

  1. God Bless you grandmother for all she does for Project Linus. Her quilts will make so many young ones happy and they will be wrapped in warmth and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Reading about your grandma makes me feel ashamed of myself for not doing more work for charity. She sounds like a wonderful and amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome Grandma! You are so lucky to have her in your life.....what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your grandma puts me to shame, 80 quilts for special kids, that's just precious. I hope she has a speedy recovery so she can get back to doing all the things she loves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what an inspiration to all of us to do more. You are a lucky gal - and I might add so is she:)
    Many Smiles,
    JoeyLea
    http://www.thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't Grandmas great? Yours sounds wonderful...I hope I'm as energetic in my golden years!
    Smiles, DianeM

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW your grandma is an inspiration and the sock monkey brought back very fond memories for me. My mom used to make these for me as well and I wish I would have kept track of one now that she is no longer with me. Oh well I still have her memories. You always write such inspirational blogs. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Mary A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that is a lot of quilts! God bless Grandma. Enjoy her while you have her (I know you do!) - I sure miss my Grandma, but have lots and lots of wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your grandmother sounds like an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice tribute to your grandmother and wonderful mentor for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too had a grandmother that made sock monkeys. I'm not sure that I still have the one we played with as kids. I found a "baby" sock monkey in lavender, it is on of the favorite toys of our Chihuahua Cooper! I still have a soft spot for sock monkeys and always stop and look at them when I see them in stores.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!