Tuesday, August 14, 2012

AQS DES MOINES QUILT SHOW COMING SOON

The Iowa Events Center here in Des Moines recently contacted me about doing a post on the upcoming AQS (American Quilter's Society) Quilt Show and Contest, which will be held at the Center on October 3-6 of this year. With more than 1,000 quilts on display, this is the perfect place to glean some quilting inspiration! This year's theme is "Welcome to the World of Quilting". Admission at the door is $11.


This year's show will also feature a variety of special exhibits—Stitch Like an Egyptian: Tentmakers of Cairo, Japanese Color and Form: New Works by 50 Japanese Artists, 2013 Pilgrim/Roy Invitational Quilt Challenge, AQS Authors' Quilt Exhibit, and New Quilts from an Old Favorite: Baskets. And of course, you won't want to miss the huge merchant mall of vendors. I don't know exactly how many there are this year, but rest assured it is enough for you to shop till you drop! I returned home with a tote bag full of goodies from last year's show. One of my favorite designers, Yellow Creek Quilt Designs, will be a vendor at this show! They also have a featured design in the upcoming winter issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine. I'm actually in the process of editing their project now! Their name probably rings a bell as they've been featured in Quilt Sampler magazine, one of the publications that I write for.


The AQS Show is also a great opportunity to learn new quilting techniques. If you plan to come, be sure to check out the many creative classes that will also be taking place during the week of the show. You can see a list of them here and project photos here. For scenes from past AQS Des Moines shows, check out my previous posts here and here.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait - I've got it down on my calendar and a friend took the day off work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be vending there for the first time this year. I am pretty excited to see all the quilts and meet all the quilters!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!