Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A CELEBRATION OF WOOL

I nearly forgot about the annual local Sheep and Wool Festival last weekend! Were it not for my friend, Mary, who asked me if I was going to go the night before, I would have totally forgotten! It was one of those crazy weeks! Since the festival is held just a mile from my house, I usually check it out. The vendor booths are filled with lots of eye candy, like these luscious wool roving braids in pretty shades of purple and green.


Prices at the festival are very reasonable. These colorful bags of wool roving were $1 each. They looked like cotton candy from a distance!


Look at the rainbow of hues in this dazzling display of merino roving braids. 


As we were walking over to the Hall of Breeds, we caught a sheep shearing demo, where this woolly friend got a haircut. The sheep are not harmed during this process. It is a painless procedure—other than perhaps the injury to their pride in having their woolly locks shorn in front of an audience of curious onlookers! 


And here is the sheep without its woolly glory. Poor thing! 


The Hall of Breeds is always a fun stop. This year, they had a pen of adorable angora goats. These goats produce the lustrous fiber known as mohair. Angora goats were first introduced in the U.S. in 1849 by Dr. James P. Davis. More goats were imported over time until the Civil War destroyed most of the large flocks in the South. Eventually, Angora goats made a comeback in the U.S., flourishing in the southwest, particularly Texas. To this day, Texas remains the largest mohair producer in the U.S.


These Shetland Sheep babies were so cute. This breed originated in the Shetland Isles and their wool is a favorite among spinners. Apparently, their fleece is so fine that a shawl knitted with it can be passed through a wedding ring.



This sweet little guy is a Romney breed, which originated in Kent, England. Their fleece is ideal for hand spinning and often recommended for beginning spinners.


I loved this black sheep, who seemed quite curious about the visitors. I felt like asking him that old English nursery rhyme, "Baa baa black sheep, have you any wool?"


These Jacob sheep are most intriguing with their black spots and fanciful horns. To read more about them, go here.


On our way back through the buildings, we spotted three cages of Angora bunnies. Click on the photo to see his cute face!


If you're in the mood for more wool festival photos, check out last year's post on the festival here. And for a fun wool project, check out my latest pincushion design in the previous post! 

7 comments:

  1. I possess an antique spinning wheel and always thought I would spin my own wool! Silly me. Love the Shetland sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't suppose you know the vendor who was selling the wool roving for $1 bag? I'd love to get the contact info so I can buy some from them - that's such a great price and wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to our local sheep and wool festival in a couple of years. Need to go again! Fun pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks like a good time! Lots of wool goodies. Lucky your friend reminded you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great event - looks like lots of eye candy and an added bonus of such cute furry friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looked like a fun and bright festival to go to. I love festivals! Thanks for the animal show,they all look so cute and sweet! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those sheep are a long way from home Kimber! Looks like it was a fun day out!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!