Friday, June 8, 2012

A WOOLLY BASKET FOR PINS

Happy Friday, everyone! Just a little note to let you know that my latest pincushion design has been published! Early this year, the nice team at Weeks Dye Works asked me to design a pincushion for them with their beautiful wools. I rarely do design work anymore with my hectic writing and editing schedule, so I was more than happy to oblige. What better project for a wool lover like me than to design another wool pincushion! Coincidentally, this took place during the same time that I was battling kidney stones, so it gave me a pleasant diversion from the pain! As I dreamt about spring in the middle of a cold January day, the image of a cheerful wool May Day basket came to mind.


The drum-shaped basket stands approximately 7" tall by 4" wide and is made with four of their wonderful wool colors—Peony, Robin's Egg Blue, Granny Smith, and Lemon Chiffon, as well as their gorgeous perle cotton. I used the perle cotton to dress up the basket handle. What a quick and easy embellishment! Pinked wool strips create a basketweave effect, while white pearl buttons and a pink posy adorn the basket exterior. I can't seem to resist using my pinking shears on a project! This time, it was my scalloped ones that got a workout. Pinking shears work best for this project rather than a scalloped rotary cutter blade due to the scale of the basket (the rotary-cut ones felt out of proportion to me). If you want to simplify things, I think plain-cut strips would look nice, too.


I will be making the basket in more primitive colors like mustard, moss, and brown for a future update on my page for the TDIPT (To Dwell in Primitive Thymes) selling site, where I've been selling my primitive-style wares for the past 5 years. More details on that later. A special thank you to Weeks Dye Works for giving me yet another fun excuse to play with their wools!

On another note, thank you to those of you who left such a kind a comment on my last post about the old store counter! Your comments were very encouraging and I appreciate that!

8 comments:

  1. I love your pin cushion basket. It's simply gorgeous. The colours are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you - and what a lovely pin cushion! I'm sure it would sell great in your new shop! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute! I love the way your use your scalloped scissors on the wool. Beautiful wools, I have to check those threads out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pincushion. So darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute and bright! Love the scallops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the pattern...too precious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling pincushion! Love the colors and your design. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimber,
    Love your newly designed pincushion. Very nice! You are a very talented lady.
    Sorry about the kidney stones, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!