Thursday, June 7, 2012

DREAMING OF PINCUSHIONS AND WOOL

I've often thought it would be neat to open up an antiques, wool, and pincushion shop in one of the buildings on our property. Now you might find that an odd combination, but for a pincushion, wool, and antiques fanatic like me, it's not such a stretch of the imagination! I've always thought it would be cool to have a shop that looks like an old-fashioned pharmacy from the 1800s—minus the pharmaceutical supplies, of course! I love all the built-in shelves, the glass domed countertop, and vintage counter in this one. Can't you just picture all those shelves filled with colorful pincushions and vintage trinkets?


Several years ago, I bought this vintage shop counter to display some of my pincushions and for the African violets I occasionally sell from my house. However, I never have gotten it set up! It's still sitting idle in the basement, and the violets for sale just sit on the countertop in my mudroom when people come calling to buy them. I guess that works for now but I'd love to get the counter set up eventually. It has three shelves that would be perfect for displaying pincushions or other trinkets. Who knows whether I will ever actually open a shop, but it's fun to dream!  


One of the items I have been searching for is a vintage cash register—the really ornate kind like this. If you know of anyone in the Midwest selling one for a reasonable price, please contact me (you can email me at the button under my profile info).

8 comments:

  1. If I had a spare building, beautiful old furniture and a cash register, beautiful gardens to stroll through, I would have a shop open this weekend! Go for it! You could sell some plants, some wool, some pincushions and I know where you could get some very cute patterns....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful counter! And I could SO see you opening a store :) You'd have to give us a virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be a shame to let such a beautiful piece of furniture go unused and and hidden in the basement. I would have to be a virtual customer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohhh, that would be dangerous. I would have to fly back east on a regular basis to shop at your little store. It sounds so wonderful, and I am certain it would be beautiful as your posts indicate nothing less than 'superbity' in all you do. Yes, I am making up new words just for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would shop in such a store! Delicious idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh...I love the idea! I would definitely be a customer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How I love old store counters and display cases! You should definitely put it to good use! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from blog readers. Due to the amount of spam I receive, comment moderation has been enabled. SPAMMERS TAKE NOTE: Your comments will NOT be automatically published!